April 17, 2003
Knoxville, TN – The University of South Carolina won their 13th straight match against the Auburn Tigers on Thursday 4-1 at the Knoxville Racquet Club. The Gamecocks improved to 13-9 overall and advanced to the second round of the SEC Women’s Tennis Tournament to play the second seeded Georgia Bulldogs.
The Gamecocks got an early 1-0 lead by taking two of the three double matches. South Carolina started it out by taking the number two doubles contest. The duo of Magda Wojdylo and Danielle Wiggins defeated Auburn’s Liz Sauerborn and Ashley Cowart 8-4. Auburn’s number three doubles team of Sarah Suitor and Isabel Rosenbrock defeated Catherine Brown and Justine Walsh 8-4. The doubles point came down to the number one doubles match-up.
Kathy Boyanovich and Jodi Kenoyer held a 6-4 lead but Auburn’s tandem of Petra Bercik and Carolina Ramirez would come back to force a tie-break. Kenoyer and Boyanovich would finally clinch the match and the double point for Carolina with a 7-2 decision in the tie-break. The win for Boyanovich moved her into 6th place all-time at Carolina with 72 career wins in doubles.
In singles, USC started slow but ended on a good note as they won the match after the fourth singles match was over with. Sarah Suitor tied the match 1-1 after she defeated Catherine Brown in straight sets 6-4,6-3. Jodi Kenoyer dropped her first set 6-0 but she would make a storming come back to give the Gamecocks a 2-1 lead by winning 6-2,6-1 in the second and third set. Wiggins won at number three for USC with a straight set victory over Liz Sauerborn 6-2,6-4. Boyanovich clinched the match with a 7-5 win in the second set after winning the first set 7-6(2).
USC will play Friday at 11am against the Georgia Bulldogs. Earlier this year, the Bulldogs defeated USC 7-0 in Athens.
1. #47 Kathy Boyanovich/Jodi Kenoyer (SC) d. Petra Bercik/Carolina Ramirez (AU) 9-8(2)
2. Danielle Wiggins/Magda Wojdylo (SC) d. Liz Sauerborn/Ashley Cowart (AU) 8-2
3. Sarah Suitor/Isabel Rosenbrock (AU) d. Catherine Brown/Justine Walsh (SC) 8-4
1. #118 Kathy Boyanovich (SC) d. Carolina Ramirez (AU) 7-6(2), 7-5
2. Jodi Kenoyer (SC) d. Petra Bercik (AU) 0-6, 6-2, 6-1
3. Danielle Wiggins (SC) d. Liz Sauerborn (AU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Magda Wojdylo (SC) d. Isabel Rosenbrock (AU) 6-7(6), 6-4,0-1, susp.
5. Sarah Suitor (AU) d. Catherine Brown (SC) 6-4, 6-3
6. Justine Walsh (SC) d. Ashley Cowart (AU) 5-7,6-4,susp.
Order of Finish:
Singles: 5, 2, 3,1