April 3, 2005
Athens, Ga. – The University of South Carolina women’s tennis team fell 4-0 to the third-ranked Georgia Bulldogs on Sunday in Athens. The loss dropped the Gamecocks to 9-6 overall and to 4-4 in SEC play while the Bulldogs improved to 13-3 overall and 7-1 in the SEC.
The Bulldogs took two of the three doubles matches to earn the doubles point. Natalie Frazier took the first doubles win for the Bulldogs with an 8-1 victory over Miranda Gutierrez and Justine Walsh at three. The 7th ranked team of Caroline Basu and Shadisha Robinson defeated Carolina’s pair of Megan McGavock and Magda Wojdylo 8-5 at No. 1 doubles to clinch the doubles point for the Bulldogs. Fallon Koon and Danielle Wiggins were leading the match at No. 2 doubles 5-4 when the match was suspended since the Bulldogs had already clinched the doubles point.
In singles, Georgia would take the top singles matches to take the 4-0 win over the Gamecocks. #5 Shadisha Robinson defeated Danielle Wiggins 6-4,6-3 at the top singles flight to give the Bulldogs a 3-0 lead. Kelley Hyndman clinched the doubles point for the Bulldogs with a 6-3,6-2 victory over Miranda Gutierrez at three.
The Gamecocks battled at the four through six spots where Magda Wojdylo, Fallon Koon, and Megan McGavock all won a set before their match was suspended since Georgia had already claimed the victory.
Carolina returns to the tennis court on Tuesday when they host USC-Aiken at 5:00 P.M. After taking on the Pacers, the Gamecocks will head to Marion, S.C. to take on the Francis Marion Patriots on Wednesday at 2:00 P.M..
1. #5 Shadisha Robinson (UGA) d. Danielle Wiggins (SC) 6-4,6-3
2. #23 Natalie Frazier (UGA) d. Christyn Lucas (SC) 6-1,6-0
3. Kelley Hyndman (UGA) d. Miranda Gutierrez (SC) 6-3,6-2
4. Magda Wojdylo (SC) vs. Evgenia Subbotina (UGA) 7-6, 1-4 susp.
5. Fallon Koon (SC) vs. Caroline Basu (UGA) 7-5,1-4 susp.
6. Megan McGavock (SC) vs. Jitka Schonfeldova (UGA) 4-6,6-4 susp.
Order of Finish: 2,1,3
1. #7 Caroline Basu/Shadisha Robinson (UGA) d. Megan McGavock/Magda Wojdylo (SC) 8-5
2. Fallon Koon/Danielle Wiggins (SC) vs. Kelley Hyndman/Evgenia Subbotina (UGA) 5-4 susp.
3. Natalie Frazier/Jitka Schonfeldova (UGA) d. Miranda Gutierrez/Justine Walsh (SC) 8-1
Order of Finish: 3,1