May 13, 2005
– The match between USC and Nebraska is the second ever between the two schools. The only other meeting between the two schools came on April 30, 1985. The Gamecocks took a 6-3 victory on that day.
– The 2005 NCAA Tournament is USC’s 11th consecutive tournament appearance. (1995-2005) The 11 consecutive appearances is the 11th longest streak in Division I women’s tennis.
– The Gamecocks have won 12-consecutive opening round matches of the NCAA Tournaments. (1990, 1995-2004) The last time the Gamecocks dropped their opening round match was on May 12, 1988 against BYU in Los Angeles, CA. The Cougars defeated the Gamecocks 5-4.
1988 1st Round BYU d. USC 5-4
1990 1st Round USC d. William & Mary 6-0
2nd Round UCLA d. USC 6-0
1995 1st Round USC d. BYU 5-2
2nd Round Georgia d. USC 5-0
1996 1st Round USC d. Florida State 5-2
2nd Round Clemson d. USC 5-4
1997 1st Round USC d. Marquette 5-3
2nd Round USC d. Indiana 5-2
3rd Round Wisconsin d. USC 5-3
1998 1st Round USC d. NC State 5-2
2nd Round Vanderbilt d. USC 5-0
1999 1st Round USC d. Furman 5-1
2nd Round USC d. Wake Forest 5-2
3rd Round Georgia d. USC 5-1
2000 1st Round USC d. Western Michigan 5-1
2nd Round Notre Dame d. USC 5-1
2001 1st Round USC d. Florida State 4-1
2nd Round Arizona State d. USC 4-2
2002 1st Round USC d. Hampton 4-1
2nd Round VCU d. USC 4-1
2003 1st Round USC d. Pennsylvania 4-3
2nd Round Duke d. USC 4-0
2004 1st Round USC d. Wake Forest 4-1
2nd Round Clemson d. USC 4-1
2005 1st Round USC d. Nebraska 4-0
– USC Head Coach Arlo Elkins is 341-225 overall in his career.
– USC won the doubles point in 10 of 23 matches this season. In five of the 13 matches that Carolina dropped the doubles point, the Gamecocks took four singles matches to claim the victory. USC is 10-0 when they win the doubles point.
– The Gamecocks have won six of its last eight matches at the No. 3 doubles spot. USC had won 5 of their previous 15 before that streak started. The win at No. 1 doubles was the first for the Gamecocks since April 12th. USC is 6-1 when the No. 1 doubles team wins their match.
– USC is 9-0 when they win the doubles point this season. The last time Carolina claimed the doubles point and failed to win the match was on March 26, 2004 against Tennessee. The Lady Vols defeated the Gamecocks 4-3 on that day. USC was 12-1 in 2004 when they won the doubles point.
– USC vs. the Big 12
Kansas St. 1-0
Oklahoma St. 0-4
Texas A&M 7-1
– Miranda Gutierrez gave Nebraska’s Ewelina Skaza her first loss of the season at No. 4 singles. Skaza entered today’s match with a 12-0 total at No. 4 singles.
– Georiga leads the overall series with USC 28-14. The last win for USC against the Bulldogs came in the 2002 season. Carolina knocked off the then No. 1 ranked Georgia Bulldogs 4-1 in the 2002 SEC Tournament to advance to the finals. This season, the Bulldogs took a 4-0 win against the Gamecocks in Athens.