Skip to main content
Partner logo
Mobile Icon Link Mobile Icon Link Mobile Icon Link Gamecocks+

Oct. 3, 2007

Final Stats

DAVIDSON, N.C. – Battling back from a one-goal deficit at the half, the South Carolina men’s soccer team scored two goals in the final 11 minutes of the match to beat Davidson, 2-1, in non-conference road action Wednesday at Alumni Field. Sophomore defender Tyler Ruthven scored Carolina’s first goal of the match and sophomore midfielder Jeff Scannella scored his second consecutive game winner to extend USC’s winning streak to three games. USC improves to 7-3-0, while the Wildcats fall to 1-8-0 for the year.

“This wasn’t the prettiest soccer that we’ve played all year, but a come-from-behind win on the road is an excellent result,” South Carolina head coach Mark Berson said. “Our guys dug down real deep in the second half and found a way to win, we just kept pounding away and made our own breaks in the game. I’m very proud of the mental toughness that we showed in the second half. “

Freshman forward Blake Brettschneider paced the Carolina offense with two shots on goal in the match, adding his team-leading fourth assist of the season on Scannella’s tally. Ruthven and Scannella each added one shot on net, while junior midfielder David Smith contributed his third assist of the season on Ruthven’s finish in the second half. Davidson out-shot the Gamecocks 12-7 in the match.

Defensively for the Gamecocks, freshman goalkeeper Jimmy Maurer collected three saves in net, while Davidson goalkeeper Robby Goldsberry tallied two saves, while allowing two goals in the loss.

Both teams had numerous attacks in the first half; however Davidson was the only team to mark the scoreboard, taking a 1-0 lead just four minutes into the set on a goal by Aaron West.

Trailing at halftime for just the third time this season, Carolina looked to capitalize on an early set piece in the half, as Scannella played a ball to the far post, finding the head of Ruthven whose shot went just wide of the net. With the Davidson lead still 1-0 in the 81st minute, Carolina drew a free kick just outside of the 18-yard box. Much like the earlier chance, Smith chipped a ball to the far post for Ruthven who connected on a header past Goldsberry to the far post, tying the match at 1-1.

Finding its offensive rhythm late in the half, Carolina continued to pressure the Wildcat defensive third of the field. With the ball at his feet in the 94th minute, Brettschneider beat a Davidson defender and sent a ball across the Davidson goal mouth, finding Scannella at the far post who redirected the ball for the deciding 2-1 Carolina advantage.

South Carolina returns to Conference USA action this weekend, traveling to face FIU on Sunday at 1 p.m. ET. For complete coverage of Gamecock soccer and all of USC’s varsity sports, please visit