April 22, 2010
LEXINGTON, Ky. – No. 50 South Carolina men’s tennis dropped its first-round SEC Tournament match against No. 19 Mississippi 4-1 Thursday evening at the Hilary J. Boone Tennis Complex. The 12th-seeded Gamecocks (9-13) fell behind the No. 5 seed Rebels and could not recover from the early deficit. Senior Diego Cubas scored the lone singles win, his second-straight victory.
The Rebels won the doubles point when Tucker Vorster and Jonas Lutjen cruised to an 8-1 win over Ivan Cressoni and Ivan Machado in the No. 2 match and Harry Fowler and Adrian Skogeng pulled out an 8-5 win over Alexander Kostanov and Johannes Pulsfort. Ole Miss wasted little time doubling its lead with Chris Thiemann’s 6-1, 6-0 win over Machado in the No. 4 singles spots.
Cubas got the Gamecocks on the board with his efficient 6-2, 6-2 victory over No. 88 Vorster in the No. 2 match. Skogeng put the Rebels back up by two with a straight-set win over Kostanov in the No. 5 position. Lutjen was on the verge of closing out the team victory after winning the first set of the No. 3 match 6-2 over Cressoni and was up a break late in the second set. The Gamecock senior fought back to force a tiebreaker in the set, but fell 7-3 in the decisive tiebreaker.
The last two matches on court were suspended with the two teams splitting the two first sets. In the No. 6 contest, Pulsfort claimed the first set over Fowler, only to see the Rebel win the second-set tiebreaker 7-5. Ole Miss’ No. 1 player, Marcel Thiemann won a first-set tiebreaker over Pedro Campos, and the second set was tied 3-3 when play was stopped.
Doubles (Order of Finish: 2, 3)
1. (26) Marcel Thiemann/Chris Thiemann (OM) led (31) Diego Cubas/Pedro Campos (SC) 7-4 DNF
2. Tucker Vorster/Jonas Lutjen (OM) def. Ivan Cressoni/Ivan Machado (SC) 8-1
3. Harry Fowler/Adrian Skogeng (OM) def. Alexander Kostanov/Johannes Pulsfort (SC) 8-5
Singles (Order of Finish: 4, 2, 5, 3) 1. (49) Marcel Thiemann led (31) Pedro Campos (SC) 7-6 (5), 3-3 DNF
2. (59) Diego Cubas (SC) def. (88) Tucker Vorster (OM) 6-2, 6-2
3. Jonas Lutjen (OM) def. Ivan Cressoni (SC) 6-2, 7-6 (3)
4. Chris Thiemann (OM) def. Ivan Machado (SC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Adrian Skogeng (OM) def. Alexander Kostanov (SC) 6-2, 6-3
6. Johannes Pulsfort (SC) tied Harry Fowler 6-2, 6-7 (5) DNF