Oct. 25, 2014
WILMINGTON, N.C. – No. 1 South Carolina shot a 1-under 287 Saturday to move up seven spots on the leaderboard and finish in a tie for fifth after the second round of the Landfall Tradition at the Country Club of Landfall. The Gamecocks are 4-over (580) for the tournament and are five shots behind leaders Wake Forest and Oklahoma State, who finished the day at 1-under.
Freshman Nanna Madsen struggled on the final four holes of today’s round, but is one stroke behind leader Ashley Holder from UCF (-7) entering Sunday’s final round. Madsen shot a 72 (E) and is 6-under for the tournament (138).
Sophomores Katelyn Dambaugh and Jia Xin Yang both went 1-under to lead the Gamecocks today. Dambaugh’s 71 gives her a 36-hole total of 145 (+1) and puts her in a tie for 18th. Yang climbed 26 spots up the leaderboard to T45 with today’s 71 and owns a two-round total of 148 (+5).
Senior Justine Dreher shot a 2-over 74 for an 18-hole total of 149 (+5). She will also enter the final round in a tie for 45th. Junior Mary Fran Hillow recovered from her worst round of the season yesterday with a 73 (+1) today and is T85.
Behind leaders Wake Forest and Oklahoma State at 1-under are Purdue and Virginia in a tie for third at 2-over. Florida, Alabama and South Carolina are tied for fifth at 4-over.
Individually, Holder (-7) from UCF and Madsen (-6) along with Alabama’s Emma Talley (-4) top the board.
- After starting the day on No. 10, the Gamecocks shot 11 birdies on the first nine holes.
- The Gamecocks have carded 30 birdies in the first two rounds.
- South Carolina was one of three teams to go under par today.
- This weekend’s field features 10 top-25 teams, including Duke, the only team to defeat the Gamecocks this season.
- South Carolina was four strokes back entering the final round at last weekend’s Mercedes-Benz Collegiate Championships and rallied to win by 14 strokes.
QUOTABLE South Carolina Head Coach Kalen Harris
The team was solid today. We got off to a fast start, but unfortunately had to wait a lot in our last holes, which caused us to lose some momentum. Overall, we are in a great position to contend for the championship tomorrow. It should be a battle.
UP NEXT The Gamecocks wrap up the Landfall Tradition with the third round tomorrow. Live scoring is available here.
TEAM STANDINGS T1. Wake Forest 286-289=575 (-1)
T1. Oklahoma State 290-285=575 (-1)
T3. Virginia 292-286=57 (+2)
T3. Purdue 283-295=578 (+2)
T5. South Carolina 293-287=580 (+4)
T5. Florida 288-292=580 (+4)
T5. Alabama 290-290=580 (+4)
8. Notre Dame 290-292=582 (+6)
9. UCF 289=294=583 (+7)
10. Tennessee 292-292=584 (+8)
11. Duke 293-293=586 (+10)
T12. North Carolina 292-299=592 (+16)
T12. NC State 301-290=591 (+15)
14. Arizona 293-299=592 (+16)
15. Ohio State 292-301=593 (+17)
16. UNC-Wilmington 315-298=613 (+37)
17. Michigan State 315-303=618 (+42)
18. Penn State 308-316=624 (+48)