July 2, 2015
- Four-year letter-winner 1985-88
- Two-time first-team NFCA All-American catcher (1987-88)
- Three-time first-team NFCA All-Region (1986-88)
- Ranks in the top 10 in Gamecock history in batting average, on-base and slugging percentages
- Led the team in batting average, hits and slugging percentage three times each
- Karen Sanchelli “was sold” on South Carolina and chose coming here over Michigan, Michigan State, Oklahoma State and a few others after meeting those involved with the team and athletics overall.
- With a connection to her high school on the athletics staff, Sanchelli thought all the pieces were falling into place to play for the Gamecocks.
- Her favorite things about playing in the Garnet and Black were her teammates, the best in the world. They always had a lot of fun together.
- Sanchelli played for two coaches at South Carolina, both great in her mind.
- Sanchelli married Bobby Johns, and they have a daughter.
- Karen Johns coached collegiately (Florida & Virginia) and internationally for many years, leading the 2011 US Junior National Team to a gold medal.
- She is the athletic director for the Trussville (Ala.) City Schools and head softball coach at Trussville High.
Interview conducted by Shelby Gonzales