March 25, 2016
AUBURN, Ala. – South Carolina (24-7, 2-5 SEC) dropped a 10-0 (5) contest at No. 3/3 Auburn (28-4, 4-3 SEC) on Friday evening at Jane B. Moore Field.
The Tigers turned a one-out Madi Gipson double in the second inning into a run after a Gamecock throwing error on a bunt went into right field, letting her score. Three more Auburn runs came home in the third, all unearned after the leadoff runner reached on another throwing error. Tiffany Howard, who reached on that miscue, scored on a sacrifice fly to right. A two-out single, walk and hit-by-pitch set up Gipson’s two-RBI double, but the Gamecocks ended the frame by gunning out the runner from first trying to score.
Auburn made it 8-0 in the fourth on Kasey Cooper’s grand slam. Jade Rhodes followed with a two-run round-tripper to close the scoring.
Tiger starter Kaylee Carlson (7-0) picked up the shutout win, scattering four hits and collecting five strikeouts. Gamecock starter Jessica Elliott (12-2) took the loss, giving up nine runs, five earned, on five hits, four walks and three hit-by-pitches.
The first Gamecock error opened up the scoring for the Tigers, who never looked back.
Eight Tigers reached first on a walk or a hit-by-pitch.
– Clark posted two outfield assists, the first Gamecock to do that since Alaynie Page did the same against Northwestern on Feb. 22, 2015 in the Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic.
– Gamecocks Clark, Snaer, freshman Alexis Mack and senior Ansley Ard had hits.
– Page stole a base bur did not reach base safely for just the fourth time this season.
– Gipson went 2-for-2 with a pair of doubles and a run scored.
– Cooper had a 1-for-1 night with five RBI on a grand slam and a sacrifice fly.
The two teams wrap up the series on Saturday with a doubleheader that begins at 2 p.m. CDT.