May 6, 2016
COLUMBIA, Mo. – No. 16/14 Missouri (38-12, 13-9 SEC) used its speed to its advantage in a 5-2 Friday night win over South Carolina (34-19, 6-16 SEC) at University Field.
A bases-loaded hit-by-pitch to Kirsten Mack brought home a run, and Sami Fagan executed a delayed steal of home to even the contest at 2-2 in the first. Three more Tiger runs came home in the second, the first on Amanda Sanchez’s single off Gamecock pitcher Jessica Elliott’s glove. A throwing error brought in another, and a second delayed steal of home by Fagan pushed Missouri’s advantage to 5-2.
The Gamecocks held an early 2-0 lead on sophomore Krystan White’s two-out, two-RBI single, scoring a pair after three walks loaded the bases, drawn by freshman Kennedy Clark, junior Kaylea Snaer and senior Ansley Ard.
Tiger starter Paige Lowary (21-6) claimed a complete-game win, giving up two earned runs on four hits and five walks. She struck out six. Elliott (17-7) took the loss, allowing five runs, four earned, on four hits and three walks.
The Tigers’ aggressive base running pushed the envelope and moved them toward the win.
The Tigers stole four bases, with both of Fagan’s swipes coming of home.
– Four different Gamecocks had hits: Snaer, White, freshman Kenzi Maguire and sophomore Kamryn Watts.
– Walks to both Page and Snaer moved them up the career charts, Page tying Joyce McMillin (1998-2001) in second and Snaer leaping Dawn Lantiere (1990-93) into sixth.
– Snaer also tied Amber Curtis (2001-04) for 15th on the total-bases charts with her base hit, while she reached base three times in the 1-for-2 night.
– Natalie Fleming had two of Missouri’s six hits.
– South Carolina’s three errors matches a season worst.
Tweet of the Game:
E5 | 1st 2 Tigers reach, but a force out at 3rd and a DP started by Watts ends it. #Gamecocks down 5-2 with White, Maguire & Bizzell up.
– Gamecock Softball (@GamecockSoftbll) May 7, 2016
The Gamecocks and Tigers tangle again on Saturday at 3 p.m. EDT, with ESPNU televising the contest.