Gamecocks Hit the Road for Doubleheader
Jan. 27, 2017
COLUMBIA, S.C. — The South Carolina men’s tennis team heads to Hanover, N.H. for their first road match of the season. The Gamecocks (2-0) will face Dartmouth (1-1) at 10:30 a.m. and Quinnipiac (3-0) at 5 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 28.
Head Coach Josh Goffi: “Our guys are genuinely excited about getting on the road to play at a good level this weekend and as a coach I feel the same way. I’m excited to see how this team handles playing good teams on the road. Practice has been great this week and the guys look ready to battle. That’s all I can ask for leading into the weekend.”
QUICK HITS: DARTMOUTH
- The Big Green finished the 2015-16 season ranked No. 41 with a 18-9 record and a trip to the NCAA Tournament, their first since 1997.
- Dartmouth finished last season 6-1 in the Ivy League to finished second.
- Seniors Dovydas Sakinis and Brendan Tannebaum received ITA honors last season. Sakinis was named Northeast Region Player of the Year and Tannebaum the Arthur Ashe Leadership and Sportsmanship award.
- Chris Drake enters his seventh season as head coach at Dartmouth.
QUICK HITS: QUINNIPIAC
- Quinnipiac finished last season 16-8 overall and 6-1 in league play, their 16 wins the most in a season since 2005-06.
- The Bobcats have wins over UConn, Rider and St. Peter’s this season.
- Senior Kei Ezaka and sophomore Freddie Zaretsky lead the team this year after both being named to the 2015-16 All-MAAC First Team.
- Head coach Chris Pappas, two-time MAAC Men’s Tennis Coach of the Year, enters his third season with the Bobcats.
Following Saturday’s action, the Gamecocks prepare to travel to Atlanta, Ga. to play Georgia State on Sunday, Feb. 5.