Carolina Opens Season Ranked For First Time Since 2004
COLUMBIA, S.C. —- T–No. 9/9 South Carolina softball found itself ranked in the initial USA Today/ NFCA Top 25 Coaches and ESPN/USA Softball Polls, it was announced this afternoon.
Slotted at No. 9 to open the 2019 season, the Gamecocks earned their highest initial ranking to open a year since being ranked No. 6 to start the 1998 season and marked the first time Carolina has started the season in the polls since 2004.
The Gamecocks begin the 2019 season Feb. 7 in Mexico against BYU and No.18/19 Baylor. Carolina will also face Duke, No. 27/27 Notre Dame and North Carolina in the first tournament of the year.
According to the Coaches Poll, South Carolina is set to face seven ranked opponents (No. 6 Georgia, T-No. 9 Alabama, No. 11 LSU, No. 13 Kentucky, No. 14 Arkansas, No. 17 Auburn, No. 18 Baylor) and an additional three who received votes (Notre Dame, Missouri, Ole Miss).
Based on the USA Softball rankings, Carolina is set to face seven ranked opponents (No. 7 Georgia, No. 10 LSU, No. 11 Alabama T-No. 12 Arkansas, No. 15 Kentucky, No. 17 Auburn, No. 19 Baylor) and an additional three teams who received votes (Notre Dame, South Florida and Ole Miss).
For more information on Carolina softball, continue to check back with gamecocksonline.com.
- First time Carolina will start the season in the polls since 2004.
- Highest opening ranking since 1998 when the Gamecocks started the year at No. 6.
- Tied for the second-best ranking to start the year in the polls (1997).
- Ninth time since 1995 the Gamecocks have started a season ranked in the polls (South Carolina started recording polls in 1995).
- South Carolina’s best ranking of the 2018 season was No. 8 (3/28-4/1).