Gamecocks Split Final Day of Regular Season
The team beat UNCW but fell to Charleston, 3-2
COLUMBIA, S.C. – South Carolina beach volleyball split the final day of the regular season on Saturday, defeating UNCW 3-2 before dropping a 3-2 dual to Charleston in the finale of the Palmetto Invitational tournament at home. The Gamecocks enter the Coastal Collegiate Sports Association’s tournament next weekend with a 18-9 overall record, 7-7 in CCSA duals.
In the win over the Seahawks (8-14), the Gamecocks split the opening wave with a 21-17, 21-6 performance out of Lauryn Gillis and Carly Schnieder in the fifth flight and then pushed ahead with a sweep from Lydia Dimke and Katie Smith in the twos. UNCW evened the dual at 2-2 after a win on center court, but Franky Harrison and Hannah Edelman took care of business and avoided any extra drama with a 21-10, 21-17 win in the third pairing to clinch the team win.
Closing the day against Charleston (18-2), the Gamecocks would put themselves behind big early after losses in the fours and fives. The team got positive results with sweeps from Harrison and Edelman (21-10, 21-12) and a great showing from Cadie Bates and Shannon Williams, but the Cougars clinched the win with a 21-15, 21-16 decision on court two. Williams ended her career at Wheeler Beach with a milestone to boot, as the Ashburn, Va. native earned her 75thcareer win after taking down Charleston. She is just the second member of South Carolina’s program to ever reach the mark, joining Macie Tendrich.
The Gamecocks will now await the official schedule for next weekend’s conference tournament down in Emerson, Ga. The CCSA event will feature pool play starting Friday, April 19. Be sure to follow GamecockBeachVB on Twitter for the schedule once it is finalized.
#11 South Carolina 3, UNCW 2
1. Maddy Kline/Katie McCullough (UNCW) def. Cadie Bates/Shannon Williams (SC) 22-20, 21-11
2. Katie Smith/Lydia Dimke (SC) def. Lexie Hamilton/Jaime Thomas (UNCW) 21-11, 21-8
3. Hannah Edelman/Franky Harrison (SC) def. JMLewandowski/Halle Hunt (UNCW) 21-10, 21-17
4. Raquel Rooney/Brynn Montgomery (UNCW) def. Jess Vastine/Whitley Ballard (SC) 21-13, 21-10
5. Lauryn Gillis/Carly Schnieder (SC) def. Anna Grauel/Reagan Evans (UNCW) 21-17, 21-6
Ext. Caroline Skaff/Jordan Smith (SC) def. Kyla Augustine/Caroline Marsh (UNCW) 21-12, 21-13
Charleston 3, #11 South Carolina 2
1. Shannon Williams/Cadie Bates (SC) def. Kennedy Madison/Lauren Freed (COFC) 21-13, 21-18
2. Devon Rachel/McKala Rhodes (COFC) def. Lydia Dimke/Katie Smith (SC) 21-15, 21-16
3. Franky Harrison/Hannah Edelman (SC) def. Amani Dunston/Sky Benjamin (COFC) 21-10, 21-12
4. Allison Beckman/Logan Manusky (COFC) def. Carly Schnieder/Lauryn Gillis (SC) 21-17, 21-15
5. Katja Ehlers/Taylor Foley (COFC) def. Whitley Ballard/Caroline Skaff (SC) 21-19, 13-21, 15-12
Ext. AJ Baumann/Delaney Wood (SC) def. Lauren Percy/Megan Morris (COFC) 21-14, 23-21
Order of finish: Doubles (4,5,2,3,1)