Gamecocks Split Conference Tournament's Opening Day
South Carolina swept Tulane but lost a heartbreaker to #16 Georgia State
EMERSON, GA. – The Coastal Collegiate Sports Association’s postseason tournament kicked off Friday at Lakepoint Sports Complex, and South Carolina (19-10) split its two duals in pool play. The fourth-seeded Gamecocks swept nine seed Tulane (16-17) and dropped a 4-1 decision to fifth seed Georgia State (23-11).
With the Panthers winning the pool, South Carolina will enter Saturday needing to win one more match for the chance to enter the eight-team final bracket. The four teams that won their respective pools receive a bye straight into the bracket, with the eight remaining teams playing in the morning and the four winners joining the pool winners.
In the morning session, the Gamecocks jumped all over the Green Wave to get the quick win. South Carolina’s two through four pairings swept their matches, with Tulane reaching 15 points in just three of those eight sets. To get the 5-0 result, though, Cadie Bates and Shannon Williams needed to dig deep after dropping their opening set on court one. The two won their second set, 21-14, and then took a 15-13 decision in the third to avenge a loss to Tulane that they suffered exactly one week to the day at the Palmetto Invitational.
Against Georgia State, the two sides split matches with the Gamecocks’ Jess Vastine and Whitley Ballard winning 21-15, 21-18 at the fours but the Panthers countering with a sweep at the ones. The final three matches each went to a third set, but South Carolina came up empty in all three matches to drop the dual.
Tomorrow begins with the consolation round in the morning, South Carolina faces Southern Mississippi at 10:30 AM ET for the chance to move into the eight-team bracket. For updates on tomorrow’s events, follow GamecockBeachVB on Twitter.
#13 South Carolina 5, Tulane 0
1. Cadie Bates/Shannon Williams (SC) def. McHugh/Toruella (Tulane), 15-21, 21-14, 15-13
2. Katie Smith/Lydia Dimke (SC) def. Orlich/Mergener (Tulane), 21-12, 21-9
3. Hannah Edelman/Franky Harrison (SC) def. Frohoff/Beccerra (Tulane), 21-14, 21-13
4. Jess Vastine/Whitley Ballard (SC) def. Leitko/Gibson (Tulane), 21-19, 21-18
5. Lauryn Gillis/Carly Schnieder (SC) def. Esters/Daane (Tulane), 21-16, 21-14
Order of Finish: (2,5,3,4,1)
#16 Georgia State 4, #13 South Carolina 1
1. Hawes/Delmonte def. Cadie Bates/Shannon Williams (SC), 21-17, 21-17
2. Stasevich/Johnson def. Katie Smith/Lydia Dimke (SC), 21-18, 19-21, 15-12
3. Weiner/Novack (GSU) def. Hannah Edelman/Franky Harrison (SC), 22-20, 21-15, 15-5
4. Jess Vastine/Whitley Ballard (SC) def. Gordon/Tresham (GSU), 21-15, 21-18
5. McGinn/Dorn (GSU) def. Lauryn Gillis/Carly Schnieder (SC), 21-17, 17-21, 15-12
Order of finish: (4,1,3,5,2)