Carolina Set To Play Host To Mercer On Wednesday Night
Gamecocks coming off two-straight overtime wins at Stone Stadium
COLUMBIA, S.C. —- South Carolina men’s soccer closes out a three-game home stand as it plays host to Mercer on Wednesday night at Stone Stadium. Gates open 1 hour before the 7:00 p.m. kickoff.
Game day parking is available for fans in the Heyward Street Garage located at 1300 Heyward Street. Parking is free of charge in this location and is available on all levels on a first-come, first-served basis. Handicap parking is also located at designated spaces within the Heyward Street Garage. An elevator is located within the garage for fans who will need to access the elevator to get to the ground level.
There are two entry gates for fans to enter Stone Stadium, located at Whaley Street and Heyward Street.
Carolina comes into the match fresh off a pair of overtime victories over Garnder-Webb and USC Upstate. Transfer Buenyamin Yusufoglu comes into the week with the third-most saves per match in the country and the seventh-most total saves.
Head coach Mark Berson enters his 42nd season as head coach for Carolina. He’s been the only coach for the program since its first season in 1978. He is the active wins leader in NCAA Division I Men’s Soccer with 509 career victories and is one of just four coaches all-time to hit the 500-win plateau.
- Fans can watch all South Carolina home matches through gamecocksonline.com. Watch links can at the top of the story and on the men’s soccer portion of the website under “live streaming.”
MERCER SERIES NOTES
- Carolina is 10-1-0 all-time against the Bears with two-straight wins in the series.
- The Gamecocks took the first eight matches between the two squads.
- SC has been dominant in the series, having outscored Mercer 33-9 all-time.
- Two of the past three matches have gone to overtime with both sides taking one.
- Fresh off a shutout of its own, Carolina has shutout Mercer five times in the series, including the first three matches.
- Mercer was picked to win the Southern Conference, according to preseason polls.
- The Bears have won SoCon regular season or tournament titles in four of the past five years.
- Mercer returns 2018 SoCon Player of the Year and 2019 Preseason All-American Trevor Martineau.
- Reigning SoCon Coach of the Year, Brad Ruzzo, returns to the sidelines once more to lead the Bears.
- Mercer comes into the match with a 4-0 record.
- Once again, fans can get the best deal in town for season tickets. Tickets are $25 for adults and $10 for youth and get you into ALL 20 soccer matches at Stone Stadium this fall. To purchase, visit gamecocksonline.com/soccertix.
For more information on the Gamecocks, continue to check back with gamecocksonline.com. Subscribe to South Carolina on Stanza to get schedule updates directly in your calendars.