Carolina Starts Conference Play At Marshall On Saturday
Gamecocks looking to win fourth-straight match
COLUMBIA, S.C. —- South Carolina men’s soccer opens Conference USA play this weekend when it hits the road to face Marshall on Saturday. Kickoff for the conference opener is set for 11:00 a.m. in Huntington, W.Va.
Carolina comes into the match fresh off three overtime victories over Garnder-Webb, USC Upstate and Mercer. Transfer Buenyamin Yusufoglu comes into the weekend with the third-most saves per match in the country and the seventh-most total saves.
The Gamecocks current streak of overtime matches is significant for multiple reasons. It’s the ninth time in 42 years of the program Carolina has played in three-straight overtime matches and the first time they’ve won all three in those nine times. It’s just the second time all three have been at home.
South Carolina has played in four-consecutive overtime matches just once in school history (2000). One more overtime win would tie the school record for extra-time victories in a season while the school record for overtime matches is eight (2014).
Head coach Mark Berson enters his 42nd season as head coach for Carolina. He’s been the only coach for the program since its first season in 1978. He is the active wins leader in NCAA Division I Men’s Soccer with 510 career victories and is one of just four coaches all-time to hit the 500-win plateau.
- Fans can Saturday’s match through C-USA TV with the link found at the top of the story and on the men’s soccer schedule page on gamecocksonline.com.
MARSHALL SERIES NOTES
- Marshall leads the all-time series 9-5-1 and has won five of the past eight matches.
- The series has been tight overtime as Marshall has outscored the Gamecocks just 22-18.
- Last season’s match was a double overtime thriller in Columbia. Marshall eventually walked away with the 2-1 win.
- Each match of the series has been decided by one goal or less (one tie) since 2012. Carolina won 3-1 in 2011.
- Carolina’s last win on the road against Marshall came with a 2-1 victory in 2015.
- Marshall comes in with a 3-0-1 record and has won its first two home matches of the year.
- Once again, fans can get the best deal in town for season tickets. Tickets are $25 for adults and $10 for youth and get you into ALL 20 soccer matches at Stone Stadium this fall. To purchase, visit gamecocksonline.com/soccertix.
For more information on the Gamecocks, continue to check back with gamecocksonline.com. Subscribe to South Carolina on Stanza to get schedule updates directly in your calendars.