Gamecocks Hit The Road For Orlando
Carolina to face UCF on Sunday
COLUMBIA, S.C. —- South Carolina men’s soccer hits the road for two-straight matches starting Sunday against No. 13 UCF in Orlando. Kickoff is set for 6:00 p.m. from the UCF Soccer and Track Complex.
The Gamecocks will look to earn a win over a ranked opponent for the third-straight year.
“We need to continue playing the way we played tonight, we need to capitalize on our chances, we need to minimize the mistakes that we make in the back and try to cut down on the chances that the opponent gets,” head coach Mark Berson said Wednesday night. “And those are tough games, they’re on the road, tough nationally ranked teams, but you know, we’ve played some tough games this year. This group is growing game-by-game. We’ll be a different team in October than we have been in September and this team’s moving in the right direction.”
Carolina comes into the match looking to carry the momentum from a 3-0 victory over Furman on Wednesday night at Stone Stadium in the program’s 500th victory 41 years to the day it earned its first. Luca Mayr made his first appearance of the year for the Garnet and Black and posted an assist and goal on the night.
Head coach Mark Berson enters his 42nd season as head coach for Carolina. He’s been the only coach for the program since its first season in 1978. He is the active wins leader in NCAA Division I Men’s Soccer with 511 career victories and is one of just four coaches all-time to hit the 500-win plateau.
- Fans can watch the match on Sunday on UCFKnights.TV with the link found here and at the top of the story.
UCF SERIES NOTES
- Carolina leads the all-time series 8-0-4, including a 4-0-1 mark on the road.
- The two teams last met in 2016 as the Gamecocks won their third-straight match against the Knights.
- South Carolina has dominated the series, outscoring UCF 22-7.
- Carolina last won in Orlando with a 1-0 victory in double overtime in 2011.
- Carolina has five shutouts in the series.
- UCF comes in with a 4-1-1, including a 2-0-1 mark at home.
- The Knights started the year ranked 15th and have climbed to 13th.
- UCF is unbeaten in its past five matches.
- Cal Jennings has led the way with seven goals.
- Scott Calabrese enters his third year as head coach for the Knights.
- Once again, fans can get the best deal in town for season tickets. Tickets are $25 for adults and $10 for youth and get you into ALL 20 soccer matches at Stone Stadium this fall. To purchase, visit gamecocksonline.com/soccertix.
For more information on the Gamecocks, continue to check back with gamecocksonline.com. Subscribe to South Carolina on Stanza to get schedule updates directly in your calendars.