Gamecocks Battle, Earn 4-2 Road Win.
COLUMBIA, S.C.— No. 29 South Carolina men’s tennis team earned a huge 4-2 win at No. 44 LSU Sunday afternoon. After dropping the doubles point, the Gamecocks locked in and were able to persevere through singles with Junior Thomas Brown sealing the win, 4-6, 6-4, 6-4, to give the Gamecocks their second SEC win of the season.
The Gamecocks hung tough in doubles to start the match. Paul Jubb and Raphael Lambling picked up a 6-2 win at the No. 1 spot, but the Tigers took the point claiming the No. 2 and 3 spots.
Carolina never wavered in singles play. Jubb defeated Mark Bhatnagar at the No. 1 position in straight sets 6-2, 6-3, tying the match at one all. The Gamecocks won the next two singles points with strong efforts from Lambling and Connor Thomson. Lambling controlled his match from start to finish, winning 6-1, 6-4 while the freshman Thomson grinded out a victory at No. 4. Down 3-2 in the first set, Thomson rallied to tie it up 3-3 and never looked back, taking control of the match and winning 6-4, 6-3 to put the Gamecocks up 3-1.
After a tough tiebreak decision at No. 2, Carolina’s lead was cut to one with both Thomas Brown and Phillip Jordan in third sets. After winning his second set 6-4, Brown coupled his momentum into winning the third set 6-4, clinching the match.
The Gamecocks improve to 2-2 in the SEC and 9-5 overall on the season.
Quotable: Head Coach Josh Goffi
“What a gutsy win by our guys. We needed a tough win (Sunday). The boys earned every part of it. LSU fought hard and played well all the way through, but our team stayed tough through the ups and downs.”
Order of Finish (1,2,3*)
- Paul Jubb/Raphael Lambling (SC) def. Ronald Hohmann/Daniel Moreno 6-2
- Rafael Wagner/Joey Thomas (LSU) def. Connor Thomson/Phillip Jordan 6-2
- Nick Watson/Boris Kozlov (LSU) def. Thomas Brown/Daniel Rodrigues 6-4
Order of Finish (1,3,4,2, 5*)
- (40) Paul Jubb (SC) def. Mark Bhatnagar 6-2, 6-3
- Ronald Hohmann (LSU) def. (46) Daniel Rodrigues (SC) 6-4, 7-6(9)
- (45) Raphael Lambling (SC) def. (96) Boris Kozlov (LSU) 6-1, 6-4
- Connor Thomson (SC) def. Rafael Wagner (LSU) 6-4, 6-3
- Thomas Brown (SC) def. Tomas Descarrega (LSU) 4-6, 6-4,6-4
- Joey Thomas (LSU) vs. Phillip Jordan (SC) 7-6(4), 3-6, 2-4 DNF.
Up Next for the Gamecocks:
The Gamecocks will return home and defend home court against No. 19 Tennessee and No. 10 Georgia on Friday and Sunday respectively.
For men’s tennis updates, continue to check back with GamecocksOnline.com or follow the team on social media (@GamecockMTennis).