Six Gamecocks Compete in Furman Open Verified UTR Tournament
COLUMBIA, S.C. – Six Gamecocks traveled upstate to compete in the Furman Open this past weekend, with junior Ana Cruz claiming victory in her singles flight. The three-day tournament ran from Friday to Sunday and featured both doubles and singles contests.
In the verified UTR Tournament, each player competed individually and not as a team. The Gamecocks had players in the doubles and singles draws, competing in the top four flights in singles. There was also an option to compete in extra matches on Sunday.
This is the only UTR Tournament before South Carolina begins its fall tournament schedule this upcoming weekend at the Debbie Southern Fall Classic.
- Junior Ana Cruz did not drop a set in her singles contests. She won three matches straight to claim victory in her flight with a 6-4, 6-2 win.
- Four out of the six South Carolina players advanced from the quarterfinals to the semifinals in singles play.
- Newcomer Chloe Narboni won a third set tiebreak to advance to the semifinals in her flight.
- Gretkowski advanced to her flight’s semifinals with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Maggie Pate.
- Lindsay Tulenko posted a commanding 6-2, 6-1 win over Kylie Duckworth in the Round of 16.
- Doubles pair Allie Gretkowski and Ana Cruz swept their opponents to advance to the quarterfinals.
- Kendall Couch and Elise Mills played a strong doubles match, winning 7-6 (4) in the Round of 16.
- In extra singles matches, Elise Mills defeated Jessica Dawson 6-2, 6-4.
For more information on South Carolina women’s tennis, check out the team on GamecocksOnline and on social media: