Beach Volleyball Splits First Day of Weekend Tournament
The Gamecocks swept Central Arkansas and fell to No. 5 TCU
FORT WORTH, TEXAS. – South Carolina went 1-1 on the opening day of the Horned Frog Challenge Friday morning. The Gamecocks (4-2) defeated Central Arkansas (1-3) in the morning but lost to host TCU at the close of the day.
The team was in an early battle with the Bears to start the morning, with each of the first two matches of the dual going to third sets. Sophie Manson and Hannah Mackenhausen rebounded from a close loss in the second set to dominate the third, 15-8, at the fours pairing. Sophie Bengoechea and Kaeli Crews needed to dig out of a hole after losing a close first set at the fives, the duo won 21-15 in the second and then held off the Bears in the third, 15-13, to give the team a 2-0 lead. The top three courts all swept their matches to secure the 5-0 decision, Jillian Gleason and Whitley Ballard made short work of their game at the threes to claim the clinching point, 21-12, 21-17.
In the Friday finale with the host Frogs, the Gamecocks came just short in a 4-1 defeat, with TCU grabbing an early 2-0 lead with wins at the fours and fives. Manson and Mackenhausen came close to helping Carolina split the opening wave, but the pair came up just shy at the fours, losing 21-17, 17-21, 15-12. The Gamecocks got on the board with a three-set match that went their way, Skylar Allen and Ballard came together for a 19-21, 21-15, 15-8 win at number two. TCU swept the first and third pairings, though, for the 4-1 final.
The competition ramps up again Saturday in the weekend finale. The Gamecocks open the day against No. 19 Georgia State at 8:30 a.m. ET before wrapping up the schedule against No. 3 Florida State immediately following their dual with the Panthers.
For continued updates on the team, follow @GamecockBeachVB on Twitter and Instagram.
- The team is without a pair of key starters for the weekend. Alyssa Keller (3-1 at No. 1 in week one) and Jordan Smith (3-1 at No. 2) did not travel with the team.
- As a results of the pair’s absence, the Gamecocks debuted four new pairings and two individuals made their season debut in the weekend opener vs. Central Arkansas – Abby Carroll and Jillian Gleason.
- Gleason teamed with Whitley Ballard to earn her first career win in the morning action. The pair won 21-12, 21-17 at No. 3 against Central Arkansas.
- Abby Carroll teamed with Skylar Allen in the morning dual with Central Arkansas and won, 21-15, 21-15. It is the senior’s first career win at the number one position in the lineup. She previously won five career matches at No. 2 and seven at No. 3.
- Ballard is the lone Gamecock on the roster with an undefeated record through the first six duals. Friday was the senior’s first-ever starts at No. 3 and No. 2.
No. 18 South Carolina 5, Central Arkansas 0
1: Skylar Allen/Abby Carroll def. Carol Barbosa/Faith Hasness (UCA), 21-15, 21-15
2: Lauren Wilcock/Peyton Gray def. Evelyn Griffith-Davis/Julia Oravec (UCA), 21-11, 21-15
3: Jillian Gleason/Whitley Ballard def. Ryenne Gepford/Kelsie Sager (UCA), 21-12, 21-17
4: Sophie Manson/Hannah Mackenhausen def. Payton Sproule/Kayla Cook (UCA) 21-8, 19-21, 15-8
5: Kaeli Crews/Sophie Bengoechea def. Bria Garmon/Marissa Gilmore (UCA), 19-21, 21-15, 15-13
Ex: Kennedy Westendorff/Sammy Ansel def. UCA, 21-12, 21-14
Order of finish: 4,5,3*,1,2
No. 5 TCU 4, No. 18 South Carolina 1
1. Daniela Alvarez/Tania Moreno (TCU) def. Lauren Wilcock/Abby Carroll (SC), 21-16, 21-15
2. Whitley Ballard/Skylar Allen (SC) def. Hailey Brockett/Sutton MacTavish (TCU), 19-21, 21-15, 15-8
3. Alexis Filippone/Hailey Hamlett (TCU) def. Peyton Gray/Jillian Gleason (SC), 21-17, 21-16
4. Maria Gonzalez/Ana Vergara (TCU) def. Sophie Manson/Hannah Mackenhausen (SC), 21-17, 17-21, 15-12
5. Megan Muret/Rochelle Scott (TCU) def. Kaeli Crews/Sophie Bengoechea (SC), 21-12, 21-18
Ex: TCU def. Hailey Cabeceiras/Kristen Schenck, 21-18, 21-15
Order of finish: 5,4,3*,2,1