Gamecocks and Tigers Set for Rivalry Game Part Two
COLUMBIA, S.C. – The South Carolina softball team kicks off its week when the Gamecocks host the 18th ranked Clemson Tigers Tuesday, April 12 at 7 p.m. The game will be broadcast nationally on ESPNU.
When: April 12 | 7 p.m.
Where: Columbia, S.C.
Venue: Carolina Softball Stadium at Beckham Field (1,480)
Live Stats: Statbroadcast
Live Video: ESPNU; Tiffany Greene (pxp) and Erin Miller (analyst)
Series History: Clemson leads 2-1
Last Meeting: Clemson 8, South Carolina 1 | March 30, 2022 | Clemson, S.C.
South Carolina Gamecocks 23-17, 2-10 SEC
Coach: Beverly Smith | 12th Season
AVG Leader: .341 | Riley Blampied
RBI Leader: 37 | Katie Prebble
Home Run Leader: 12 | Katie Prebble
ERA Leader: 2.33 | Skylar Trahan
Strikeout Leader: 64 | Bailey Betenbaugh
Wins Leader: 5 | Three tied
#18 Clemson Tigers 30-10, 9-6 ACC
Coach: John Rittman | 3rd Season
AVG Leader: .312 | Marissa Guimbarda
RBI Leader: 37 | Alia Logoleo
Home Run Leader: 8 | Marissa Guimbarda and Alia Logoleo
ERA Leader: 1.12 | Regan Spencer
Strikeout Leader: 137 | Valerie Cagle
Wins Leader: 12 | Valerie Cagle
- The Gamecocks and Tigers are meeting for just the fourth time, and the third since Clemson reinstated softball in 2020.
- South Carolina won the first meeting back in 1979.
- Katie Prebble hit 10 home runs in her first 24 games of the season, which were the most by any Gamecock in recorded history (since 1982).
- Through 40 games, Prebble’s 12 home runs are tied for the most with Alaynie Page (2015). Her 12 home runs are tied for fourth most in a single season.
- The 37 RBIs by Prebble are the third most under Smith, topped only by Kassidy Krupit last season (43) and Page in 2013 (39)
- Jordan Fabian’s 26 walks are second and Hannah Kumiyama’s 24 are third to start a season under Smith. They trail only Mackenzie Boesel’s 29 from last year.
- The 141 walks by the team are tied (2019) for the most under coach Smith through 40 games.
- The 16 stolen bases by Jordan Fabian through 40 games are the most since Samie Garcia (16) in 2013.
- Freshman Emma Sellers’ 29 hits through 40 games are the most by a freshman since Boesel had 41 hits in 2017.
- The 57 stolen bases by Carolina are the most to start a season since stealing 56 in 2013. It’s the third time under Smith they’ve stolen at least 57 (2011, 13)
- The 217 RBIs are the most through 40 games since 2019, and are third most under Smith (2013, 223; 2019, 230).
- The Gamecocks opened the season at home for the third straight year. Last season the team opened the season with Carolina Classic, but was canceled due to weather.
- South Carolina has opened the season at home in 7 of 12 seasons under Bev Smith.
- The 2022 roster features 22 total players. A total of seven different states are represented.
For the latest on South Carolina Softball, visit GamecockSoftball.com or follow the team’s social media accounts on Twitter @GamecockSoftbll, Facebook /GamecockSoftball, and Instagram @GamecockSoftball.