Rodrigues Announced as McWhorter Nominee
Birmingham, Ala. – South Carolina men’s tennis junior Daniel Rodrigues was named as South Carolina’s nominee for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship presented by the Southeastern Conference. Rodrigues is joined in South Carolina’s nomination by Courtney Weber of Volleyball.
The SEC has awarded the McWhorter scholarship to the league’s top male and female scholar-athletes every year since 1986. The league provides each recipient with a $20,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining scholarship finalists will receive a $10,000 post-graduate scholarship.
The scholarship recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and will be announced in May. They will also be honored by the league membership at the SEC Spring Meetings in Destin, Fla.
Rodrigues’ Nominee Highlights
- Three-time ITA Scholar-Athlete, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Three-time SEC Academic Honor Roll, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Co-winner of South Carolina’s Ernest Brooks Athlete of the Year Award, 2022
- ITA Carolina Region Rookie of the Year, 2019
- SEC All-Freshman Team, 2019
- Two-time First-Team All-SEC, 2019, 2020
- Two-time SEC All-Tournament Team, 2020, 2021
- 2021 NCAA Singles Runner-Up
- Became the first player in program history to be the No. 1 player in the ITA national rankings Tied for highest final rank in program history at No. 3 (2021) Became the tenth player in program history to achieve 100 career singles wins
- Ended the 2022 dual match season on a 12-match singles win streak with all 12 wins over ranked opponents
- Four Time SEC Player of the Week during the 2022 dual season
Rodrigues and the men’s tennis squad finished the regular season with a 21-5 record and await a bid for the NCAA Tournament.
For all the latest South Carolina men’s tennis information, continue to follow GamecocksOnline.com or the team on social media (@GamecockMTennis).