Gamecocks in the Show - 2022 Regular Season Wrap Up
USA Today Images / Rich Storry
The 2022 MLB regular season came to a close on Wednesday and it’s time to get ready for postseason play. Let’s take a look on how the Gamecock alums performed this year.
- Jackie Bradley Jr. (Toronto Blue Jays) – Bradley Jr. played in 40 games for the Blue Jays after signing as a free agent on Aug. 9. He had nine runs scored, four doubles, a home run and nine RBI while helping the Blue Jays to the AL Wild Card. The Blue Jays host Seattle in a three-game series in Toronto starting Friday afternoon.
- Jonah Bride (Oakland Athletics) – Bride played in 58 games for the Athletics and had 17 runs scored, four doubles, a home run, six RBI and 19 walks. His first career home run was on Aug. 26 against the New York Yankees.
- Wil Crowe (Pittsburgh Pirates) – Crowe made 60 appearances for the Pittsburgh Pirates in 2022 and had six wins, four saves and 68 strikeouts in 76 innings pitched. Crowe earned the win in his last appearance of the season on Sept. 27 against Cincinnati.
- Whit Merrifield (Toronto Blue Jays) – Merrifield played in 44 games after being traded to the Toronto Blue Jays on Aug. 2. He hit .281 for Blue Jays with five doubles, five home runs, 16 RBI and 19 runs scored. He also helped the Blue Jays to the AL Wild Card, where they will host Seattle for a three-game series starting Friday afternoon.
- Jordan Montgomery (St. Louis Cardinals) – Montgomery was traded to the St. Louis Cardinals on August 2 and went 6-3 with a 3.11 ERA in 11 starts for the Redbirds. He had 61 strikeouts in 63.2 innings pitched and had a complete-game one-hit shutout of the Chicago Cubs on Aug. 22. Montgomery and the Cardinals, who won the NL Central, host Philadelphia in the NL Wild Card series starting Friday afternoon.
- Cody Morris (Cleveland Guardians) – Morris earned the call up with the Guardians and made his Major League debut on Sept. 2. He picked up a win and had a 2.28 ERA in seven appearances and five starts while striking out 23 batters in 23.2 innings pitched. He had five strikeouts in five innings pitched on Sept. 23 in a win at Texas. Morris and the Guardians host Tampa Bay in the AL Wild Card series starting Friday afternoon.
- Clarke Schmidt (New York Yankees) – Schmidt and the Yankees will play in the ALDS next week against an opponent to be determined. On the season, he was 5-5 with a 3.12 ERA and 56 strikeouts in 57.2 innings pitched. He did not allow an earned run in his last five appearances of 2022 and struck out a pair in two innings against Texas on Oct. 4.
- Christian Walker (Arizona Diamondbacks) – Walker had a career year for the Diamondbacks, belting 36 home runs to go along with 94 RBI, 84 runs scored, 25 doubles and an OPS of .804. Walker was seventh in MLB in home runs and tied for 18th in the league in RBI.
- Taylor Widener (Arizona Diamondbacks) – Widener made 14 appearances for the Diamondbacks in 2022 and had a 3.63 ERA with 14 strikeouts in 17.1 innings pitched. In his last outing of the year on Oct. 4 at Milwaukee, Widener had a pair of strikeouts in two scoreless innings of work.