Gamecocks and No. 2 Wildcats Set For Rematch in Sun Belt Tournament
LEXINGTON, Ky. – The South Carolina men’s soccer team travels to No. 2 Kentucky for the opening round of the Sun Belt Conference Tournament Sunday, November 6, for a 7 p.m. kickoff.
The Gamecocks and Wildcats met in the regular season finale in Columbia. This is the second time in program history the Gamecocks have played the same team in the final match or the regular season and the first match of the conference tournament. The other occurrence was just three years ago during the 2019 season against FIU.
Gameday Information – #WEareCarolina
When: November 6 | 7 p.m.
Where: Lexington, Ky.
Venue: Wendell & Vickie Bell Soccer Complex (3,368)
Tickets: UK Athletics
Live Stats: StatBroadcast
Series History: Kentucky leads 11-7-4
Last Meeting: Kentucky 3, South Carolina 0 | Nov. 1, 2022 | Columbia, S.C.
South Carolina Gamecocks 5-7-4, 1-4-3 Sun Belt
Coach: Tony Annan | 2nd Season – 10-16-6
Goal Leader: 4 | Adam Luckhurst
Assist Leader: 4 | Adam Luckhurst
Points Leader: 12 | Adam Luckhurst
Shots Leader: 28 | Adam Luckhurst
Saves Leader: 47 | Ben Alexander
#2 Kentucky Wildcats 11-0-5, 5-0-3 Sun Belt
Coach: Johan Cedergren | 10th Season
Goal Leader: 8 | Eythor Bjorgolfsson and Casper Grening
Assist Leader: 14 | Nick Gutmann
Points Leader: 24 | Nick Gutmann
Shots Leader: 54 | Casper Grening
Saves Leader: 17 | Casper Mols
Taking the Pitch
- The two teams joined the Sun Belt Conference together this season after spending the last 16 seasons in Conference-USA.
- This is the 22nd meeting between the two programs.
- In Lexington, the Gamecocks trail the series 2-6-2.
- The Gamecocks last won in the Bluegrass State was Nov 4, 2012, a 1-0 victory.
- The two team tied 0-0 last season in Lexington. It was the third scoreless draw in the series (‘05, ‘13).
- All-time in the series, Kentucky has out-scored the Gamecocks 28-24.
- The Gamecocks have not made the conference tournament since the 2019 season, when they lost to FIU 3-0 in the first round of the Conference-USA Tournament.
- Carolina has not won a conference tournament match since 2015, they it defeated New Mexico 1-0 on Nov. 11.
- South Carolina finished the regular season leading the nation in average attendance with 2,839 fans per game.
- Two Gamecocks have scored a brace this season, Adam Luckhurst and Logan Frost.
- Adam Luckhurst became the first player since 2018 to record a goal and two assists in a match when he did so against Winthrop.
- Rocky Perez and Bryce Griffith were named to the Wolstein Classic All-Tournament Team.
- Freshman goalkeeper Ben Alexander was named to the Canadian U-20 team, where he started three matches during the 2022 Concacaf Men’s U-20 Championship.
- The roster features 17 newcomers; five transfers and 12 true freshmen.
- The team returns 10 players from the 2021 squad, including All-Conference performers Peter Clement, Logan Frost, and Harrison Myring.
For the latest on men’s soccer, visit GamecocksOnline.com or follow the team’s social media accounts on Twitter @GamecockMSoccer, Facebook /GamecockMSoccer, and Instagram @GamecockMSoccer.