Women’s Tennis Falls at Clemson
Clemson, S.C. – South Carolina women’s tennis fell to in-state rival Clemson 2-4 on Tuesday. The Gamecocks took the doubles point but were unable to find their footing in singles, only earning one additional point before the Tigers clinched the match.
Doubles needed all three courts for the decision after Clemson won Court 1 and South Carolina won Court 2. All eyes turned to Court 3 where the senior-freshman duo of Elise Mills and Alice Otis were in a close battle. The Gamecocks initially went up 3-0 to start the match but gave the break back up and were neck-and-neck with Clemson’s pair.
The Gamecock duo was up 6-5 on Clemson’s serve and were down 15-40 but were able to claw their way back up to earn a much-needed break to take the match 7-5, clinching the doubles point.
Play moved to singles where the Tigers took first sets on Courts 2-6. At the top spot in the lineup, No. 13 Ayana Akli defeated Eleni Louka in straight sets 6-3, 6-1 to put the Gamecocks up 2-0.
Akli remains undefeated in singles dual action and is on a six-match singles win streak dating back through tournament play. All five of her wins have come in straight sets with five of them coming over ranked opponents.
The Tigers battled back, taking wins on Courts 2 and 3 to knot the match a two-all. The bottom half of South Carolina’s lineup was fighting with all three matches in third sets, but it was the Tigers who prevailed, taking wins on Courts 5 and 6 to clinch the match.
South Carolina will return home for a weekend of dual action, hosting Coastal Carolina and Yale on Fri., Feb. 17 at 1 p.m. and 5 p.m., before hosting Wake Forest in a Sunday morning dual at 11 a.m.
For all the latest South Carolina women’s tennis information, continue to follow GamecocksOnline.com or the team on social media (@GamecockWTennis).
Clemson 4, South Carolina 2
Order of finish: Doubles (1 ,2 ,3)
- Cristina Mayorova/Eleni Louka (CU) def. Gracie Mulville/Ayana Akli (SC) 6-2
- Ana Cruz/Allie Gretkowski (SC) def. Samantha Buyckx/Jenna Thompson (CU) 6-4
- Alice Otis/Elise Mills (SC) def. Daniella Medvedeva/Sophia Hatton (CU) 7-5
Order of finish: Singles (1, 2, 3, 5, 6)
- #13 Ayana Akli (SC) def. Eleni Louka (CU) 6-3, 6-1
- Cristina Mayorova (CU) def. Gracie Mulville (SC) 6-2, 6-4
- Samantha Buyckx (CU) def. Elise Mills (SC) 6-3, 6-4
- Jenna Thompson (CU) vs. Misa Malkin (SC) 6-4, 5-7, 1-3, unfinished
- Daniella Medvedeva (CU) def. Mckenna Schaefbauer (SC) 6-3, 5-7, 6-3
- Sophia Hatton (CU) def. Alice Otis (SC) 6-1, 4-6, 7-5