Men’s Tennis Falls to No. 7 Georgia
Columbia, S.C. – No. 5 South Carolina men’s tennis fell 0-4 to No. 7 Georgia on Friday night. The Bulldogs took the doubles point and were able to secure three singles wins before South Carolina could get on the board.
In doubles, Georgia’s No. 7 ranked pair handed No. 1 Connor Thomson and Toby Samuel their first loss of the SEC season. The Bulldogs broke the Gamecocks on their first service game and carried the lead throughout, winning it 6-3.
Matches at the Nos. 2 and 3 positions were both dead even with each pair taking their own service games. While having first serve, Georgia’s No. 2 pair were finally able to earn a break while up 4-3 to go up 5-3 and serve out the match 6-3, clinching the doubles point.
Play moved to singles where the Bulldogs were quick to add on to their lead with a 6-4, 6-2 win on Court 6, a 6-3, 6-4 win on Court 4, and a 6-3, 6-2 win on Court 5.
At the top two spots in the lineup, No. 6 Samuel was leading No. 3 Ethan Quinn 7-6(4), 3-4, and No. 11 Thomson was leading No. 13 Philip Henning 6-3, 5-5 when play was suspended.
South Carolina will continue SEC play at home on Sunday, hosting No. 9 Tennessee at noon at the Carolina Tennis Center.
For all the latest South Carolina men’s tennis information, continue to follow GamecocksOnline.com or the team on social media (@GamecockMTennis).
(7) Georgia 4, (5) South Carolina 0
Doubles (order of finish: 2, 1)
- #7 Trent Bryde/Ethan Quinn (UGA) def. #1 Connor Thomson/Toby Samuel (SC) 6-3
- Philip Henning/Teodor Giusca (UGA) def. #31 Jake Beasley/James Story (SC) 6-3
- Casey Hoole/Raphael Lambling (SC) vs. Blake Croyder/Britton Johnston (UGA) 5-4, unfinished
Singles (order of finish: 6, 4, 5)
- #6 Toby Samuel (SC) vs. #3 Ethan Quinn (UGA) 7-6 (7-4), 3-4, unfinished
- #11 Connor Thomson (SC) vs. #13 Philip Henning (UGA) 6-3, 5-5, unfinished
- James Story (SC) vs. Trent Bryde (UGA) 6-7 (4-7), 3-2, unfinished
- #107 Blake Croyder (UGA) def. #120 Raphael Lambling (SC) 6-3, 6-4
- Miguel Perez Pena (UGA) def. #88 Casey Hoole (SC) 6-3, 6-2
- Teodor Giusca (UGA) def. Jake Beasley (SC) 6-4, 6-2