Gamecocks Take Doubles Point in Loss at Tennessee
Knoxville, Tenn. – No. 27 South Carolina women’s tennis fell 1-4 to No. 15 Tennessee in Knoxville on Sunday. The Gamecocks claimed the doubles point but were bested in singles.
The Gamecocks held all the momentum through the doubles matches. The first pair of finish was No. 48 Ayana Akli and Sarah Hamner who defeated No. 36 Esther Adeshina and Rebeka Mertena 6-3 thanks to an early break.
The point was clinched from the No. 2 position where sophomore Gracie Mulville and senior Elise Mills took down their opponents, also by a score of 6-3.
In singles play, the Volunteers were dominant, winning on Courts, 3, 5, 1, and 6 to clinch the match.
No. 19 Hamner was leading No. 24 Mertena 7-6(4), 3-1 when play was suspended.
The Gamecocks will continue SEC action on the road, traveling to Alabama to take on Auburn and Alabama in next weekend’s regular season finale. Friday’s match at Auburn will begin at 4:00 p.m. ET and Sunday’s match at Alabama will begin at noon ET.
For all the latest South Carolina women’s tennis information, continue to follow GamecocksOnline.com or the team on social media (@GamecockWTennis).
#15 Tennessee 4, #27 South Carolina 1
Doubles (order of finish: 1, 2)
- #48 Ayana Akli/Sarah Hamner (SC) def. #36 Esther Adeshina/Rebeka Mertena (TENN) 6-3
- Gracie Mulville/Elise Mills (SC) def. Lauren Anzalotta/Catherine Aulia (TENN) 6-3
- Eleonora Molinaro/Daria Kuczer (TENN) vs. Allie Gretkowski/Ana Cruz (SC) 3-4, unfinished
Singles (order of finish: 3, 5, 1, 6)
- #38 Elza Tomase (TENN) def. #8 Ayana Akli (SC) 6-4, 6-3
- #24 Rebeka Mertena (TENN) vs. #19 Sarah Hamner (SC) 6-7, 1-3, unfinished
- #46 Daria Kuczer (TENN) def. Gracie Mulville (SC) 6-1, 6-0
- Eleonora Molinaro (TENN) vs. Misa Malkin (SC) 7-6, 4-1, unfinished
- Esther Adeshina (TENN) def. Elise Mills (SC) 6-2, 6-3
- Lauren Anzalotta (TENN) def. Alice Otis (SC) 6-1, 7-5