Baseball Faces Texas A&M Thursday Morning at the SEC Tournament
COLUMBIA, S.C. — The University of South Carolina baseball team faces 10th seeded Texas A&M in an elimination game on Thursday morning (May 25) at 10:30 a.m. EDT (9:30 a.m. CDT) at the Hoover Met.
PROBABLE PITCHING ROTATION
South Carolina Jack Mahoney (Jr. RHP) 6-2, 3.73 ERA, 70.0 IP, 23 BB, 72 K
Texas A&M Justin Lampkin (Fr. LHP) 2-3, 6.39 ERA, 50.2 IP, 25 BB, 65 K
– The Gamecocks suffered its first loss of SEC Tournament play on Wednesday morning, falling 10-3 to LSU.
– LSU scored two in the second, four in the fifth and two more in the sixth and seventh frames.
– Ethan Petry belted his 22nd home run of the season in the fifth inning, continuing to re-set the Carolina freshman home run and RBI record.
– Petry now has 72 RBI on the season and is two off of Carolina’s single-season top-10 list.
– Petry has 11 RBI in three games this season against LSU.
– Will Tippett and Talmadge LeCroy both are 3-for-8 in the SEC Tournament. Tippett drove in three runs and has a triple, while LeCroy has two runs scored and an RBI.
– Braylen Wimmer is 3-for-9 in Hoover with two runs scored.
– Eli Jones made the start for Carolina in the LSU game, striking out three and allowing five hits and four runs with a walk in four innings of work.
– Carolina is 30-52 all-time in the SEC Tournament.
– Texas A&M won the only meeting between the two teams in the SEC Tournament as the Aggies defeated the Gamecocks, 4-1, in the 2016 tournament.
– Carolina did not face Texas A&M in the regular season. The last series betwen the two teams was last May in College Station as the Aggies took 2-of-3 games.
– Jack Mahoney will get the start for Carolina against Texas A&M. Mahoney has never faced Texas A&M in his career, but his last two starts have been stellar. He threw seven shutout innings in a 3-1 win over Arkansas and went six innings, striking out nine in a 6-1 win over Tennessee.
– The winner of the Carolina-Texas A&M game will play on Friday afternoon at 4 p.m. EDT (3 p.m. CDT) in an elimination game. The loser will be eliminated from SEC Tournament play.