Gamecocks in the MLB Update - August 9
USA TODAY Sports Images
The Major League Baseball’s 2023 season is currently in the dog days of August and seven Gamecock alums are playing in the “Show.”
- Jonah Bride (Oakland Athletics) – Bride was called back up to the Athletics on August 3 and doubled in his first game back at the Los Angeles Dodgers. Bride has 58 at-bats with Oakland in 2023 with four RBI and two extra-base hits.
- TJ Hopkins (Cincinnati Reds) – Hopkins was called up to the Reds on August 5 for his second stint with the big club this season. He has played in 16 games for Cincinnati and has four hits and an RBI to go along with four runs and a stolen base. The Reds are tied with the Chicago Cubs for third wild card spot in the National League.
- Whit Merrifield (Toronto Blue Jays) – Merrifield is hitting .298 with 51 runs scored, 19 doubles, 10 home runs and 52 RBI for the Blue Jays this season. He led off the game with a home run at Boston on August 4 and had three hits in Cleveland on August 8. Toronto currently holds the final wild card slot in the American League.
- Carmen Mlodzinski (Pittsburgh Pirates) – Mlodzinski is 2-2 with a 1.99 ERA in 20 appearances and a start for the Pirates this season. He recently earned the win over Atlanta on August 7, retiring all four batters faced. Mlodzinski has 20 strikeouts in 22.2 innings pitched.
- Jordan Montgomery (Texas Rangers) – Montgomery was traded from the St. Louis Cardinals to the Texas Rangers on July 30 and made his debut with the new club on August 4, earning the win against Miami with three strikeouts in six innings of work. Montgomery has 114 strikeouts in 127 innings pitched. Texas leads the American League West by three games over Houston.
- Clarke Schmidt (New York Yankees) – Schmidt has made 23 starts for the Yankees in 2023, striking out 110 batters in 115 innings pitched. He has wins in six of his last seven starts, including striking out seven in 5.1 innings in a win over the Chicago White Sox on August 8.
- Christian Walker (Arizona Diamondbacks) – Walker has played in 110 games for the Diamondbacks this season, hitting .265 with 57 runs scored, 32 doubles, 23 home runs and 70 RBI for Arizona. Walker had two hits and a home run against the Los Angeles Dodgers on August 8.