Gamecocks and Monarchs Set for Saturday Night Match
COLUMBIA, S.C. – The South Carolina men’s soccer team plays host to the Old Dominion Monarchs Saturday night (Oct. 7), as the teams meet in a Sun Belt Conference match at 7 p.m. As part of the match, the Gamecocks are hosting a Mental Health Awareness night. Fans who wear green can purchase $1 tickets at the gate.
Gameday Information – Mental Health Awareness
When: October 7 | 7 p.m.
Where: Columbia, S.C.
Venue: Stone Stadium (5,700)
Live Stats: StatBroadcast
Series History: Old Dominion leads 10-5-1
Last Meeting: Old Dominion 1, South Carolina 0 | Oct 19, 2022 | Norfolk, Va.
South Carolina Gamecocks 3-5-2, 1-1-1 Sun Belt
Coach: Tony Annan | 3rd Season – 13-22-8
Goal Leader: 4 | Adam Luckhurst
Assist Leader: 2 | Mika Habel and Martin Yahia
Points Leader: 8 | Adam Luckhurst
Shots Leader: 21 | Ethan Dekel Daks
Saves Leader: 33 | Ben Alexander
Old Dominion Monarchs 5-0-5, 2-0-1 Sun Belt
Coach: Alan Dawson | 27th Season
Goal Leader: 4 | Karan Mandair
Assist Leader: 3 | Nathan Lam
Points Leader: 8 | William Arnesen and Karan Mandair
Shots Leader: 14 | Karan Mandair
Saves Leader: 36 | Michael Statham
Taking the Pitch
- This will be the 17th meeting between the Gamecocks and Monarchs.
- The two teams have met each of the last 11 seasons, including twice in 2014, 2016, 2017, and 2021.
- The Gamecocks are 3-3 all-time in Columbia.
- Carolina’s last victory came in a 3-2 win in Columbia on Oct. 29, 2017.
- The Monarchs have won five of the last six meetings.
- ODU has out-scored the Gamecocks 26-20 in the series.
- The Gamecocks held Georgia State to one shot on goal. It was the first time since 2014 (also against GSU), that they’ve held a team to 1 SOG or less.
- South Carolina defeated No. 24 Kentucky for the first time since 2016 and the first time in Lexington since 2012.
- It was their first win over a ranked opponent since 2019.
- Ben Alexander was named the Sun Belt Defensive Player of the Week.
- He was the first Gamecock to win a Sun Belt POW award and the first defensive player to earn any POW honor since 2017.
- The Gamecocks tallied four goals in the match against Queens, their first four-goal match since scoring four against Winthrop on Sept. 9, 2022.
- Carolina also earned five assists in the match, the first time they finished with five in a match since Sept. 5, 2006, against Centenary.
- This is the 45th season of South Carolina men’s soccer.
- The Gamecocks have an all-time record of 524-283-84.
- South Carolina finished the regular season last year leading the nation in average attendance with 2,839 fans per game.
- The Gamecocks begin their second season in the Sun Belt Conference.
- Carolina was picked to finish fifth in the conference by the coaches.
- Peter Clement and Adam Luckhurst will serve as team captains for the season.
- The roster features 10 newcomers; five transfers and five true freshmen.
- They return eight starters from a season ago, including four starters in the defensive end.
- The team return Adam Luckhurst who led the Gamecocks in every offensive category.