Gamecocks Hit the Road for Sun Belt Match Wednesday
STATESBORO, Ga. – The South Carolina men’s soccer team hits the road for a match against the Georgia Southern Eagles Wednesday night (Oct. 18) with kickoff set for 7 p.m.
When: October 18 | 7 p.m.
Where: Statesboro, Ga.
Venue: Eagle Field at Erk Park (500)
Live Stats: StatBroadcast
Series History: South Carolina leads 8-0-2
Last Meeting: South Carolina 1, Georgia Southern 0 | Sept 24, 2022 | Columbia, S.C.
South Carolina Gamecocks 4-5-2, 2-1-1 Sun Belt
Coach: Tony Annan | 3rd Season – 14-22-8
Goal Leader: 5 | Adam Luckhurst
Assist Leader: 3 | Mika Habel
Points Leader: 10 | Adam Luckhurst
Shots Leader: 24 | Ethan Dekel Daks
Saves Leader: 43 | Ben Alexander
Georgia Southern Eagles 1-7-5, 0-3-2 Sun Belt
Coach: Lee Squires | 1st Season
Goal Leader: 2 | Jack Ireland and Ty Wilson
Assist Leader: 2 | Finn Weigelt
Points Leader: 17 | Jack Ireland and Ty Wilson
Shots Leader: 13 | Alex Smith
Saves Leader: 39 | Nate Martinez
Taking the Pitch
- This will be the 11th meeting between the Gamecocks and Eagles.
- This will be the first meeting in Statesboro between the programs.
- South Carolina has won the last three meetings by a combined score of 6-1.
- The teams have met each of last five seasons.
- The two ties in the series came in 2019 and 1997.
- The Gamecocks have out-scored the Eagles 29-9 in the series.
All-Time vs Georgia Southern (8-0-2)
- South Carolina leads the nation in both cumulative and average attendance (4,434)
- Carolina has hosted three of the top seven highest attended on-campus NCAA men’s soccer home matches this season (#5 – Old Dominion, #6 – Jacksonville, #7 – UNCW).
- They also claim seven of the top 14 spots in highest attended home matches (#10 – Georgia State, #12 – USC Upstate, #13 – Queens, #14 West Virginia), along with their road match at Clemson ranking as #11. No other program has more than one game in the top 14.
- Only Clemson, Creighton and Maryland have two matches in the top-20.
- South Carolina is the only program in the nation to have all of its home matches (7) rank in the top-50 for attendance.
- Ethan Dekel Daks’ goal vs Old Dominion with five seconds left was the latest goal in regulation since Tucker Monheimer with one second left vs Jacksonville on 10/23/2019.
- For his efforts, Dekel Daks was named the Sun Belt Offensive Player of the Week.
- The Gamecocks held Georgia State to one shot on goal. It was the first time since 2014 (also against GSU), that they’ve held a team to 1 SOG or less.
- South Carolina defeated No. 24 Kentucky for the first time since 2016 and the first time in Lexington since 2012.
- It was their first win over a ranked opponent since 2019.
- Ben Alexander was named the Sun Belt Defensive Player of the Week.
- He was the first Gamecock to win a Sun Belt POW award and the first defensive player to earn any POW honor since 2017.
- The Gamecocks tallied four goals in the match against Queens, their first four-goal match since scoring four against Winthrop on Sept. 9, 2022.
- Carolina also earned five assists in the match, the first time they finished with five in a match since Sept. 5, 2006, against Centenary.
- This is the 45th season of South Carolina men’s soccer.
- The Gamecocks have an all-time record of 525-284-84.
- South Carolina finished the regular season last year leading the nation in average attendance with 2,839 fans per game.
- The Gamecocks are in their second season in the Sun Belt Conference.
- Carolina was picked to finish fifth in the conference by the coaches.
- Peter Clement and Adam Luckhurst will serve as team captains for the season.
- The roster features 10 newcomers; five transfers and five true freshmen.
- They return eight starters from a season ago, including four starters in the defensive end.
- The team return Adam Luckhurst who led the Gamecocks in every offensive category.