Gamecocks in the MLB - Final 2023 Update
USA TODAY Images
The Major League Baseball’s 2023 season came to an end with a pair of Gamecocks competing in the World Series.
- Whit Merrifield (Toronto Blue Jays) – Merrifield made his third All-Star Game of his career and helped Toronto to the AL Wild Card in 2023. He played in 145 games for the Blue Jays and hit .272 with 66 runs scored, 27 doubles, 11 home runs and 67 RBI while stealing 26 bases.
- Carmen Mlodzinski (Pittsburgh Pirates) – Mlodzinski went 3-3 in his rookie season with the Pirates with a 2.25 ERA. The Hilton Head native struck out 34 batters in 36 innings and had a save. He ended the season as the Pirates’ set up man.
- Jordan Montgomery (Texas Rangers) – Montgomery helped the Texas Rangers to a World Series title in 2023, becoming the fourth Gamecock alum to earn a ring. Montgomery went 4-2 with a 2.79 ERA in 11 starts in the regular season with the Rangers and went 3-1 in the 2023 postseason with a 2.90 ERA and 17 strikeouts in six games pitched and five starts.
- Clarke Schmidt (New York Yankees) – Schmidt was a mainstay in the rotation in 2023, starting 32 games for the Yankees this season. He went 9-9 with a 4.64 ERA and 149 strikeouts in 159 innings pitched.
- Christian Walker (Arizona Diamondbacks) – Walker helped the Diamondbacks to a National League Championship title and a World Series appearance. He played in 157 games in the regular season and had 36 doubles, two triples, 33 home runs and 103 RBI. He was eighth in the NL in doubles and ninth in games played.