About Williams-Brice Stadium

Williams-Brice Stadium, formerly Carolina Stadium, was first constructed in 1934 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). Then, it seated 17,600 Gamecock fans. It has undergone a number of expansions and revisions over the years, with the largest prior to the 1982 expansion coming in 1971-72. A bequest from the estate of Mrs. Martha Williams-Brice helped boost the capacity then from slightly more than 43,000 to greater than 54,000.

Mrs. Williams-Brice’s husband, Thomas H. Brice, was a Gamecock football letterman from 1922-24, and her family operated the Williams Furniture Company in Sumter. She left a substantial inheritance from the furniture fortune to her nephews, Thomas W. and Philip L. Edwards, much of which they passed on to the University of South Carolina. That included a bequest for the stadium project.

The name was officially changed from Carolina Stadium to Williams-Brice Stadium in dedication ceremonies during the Sept. 9, 1972 opener with Virginia.

Added in 2012 was a $6.5 million state-of-the-art videoboard that sits above the north stands. It measures 36’ x 124’.

In 2015, the $14.5 million Springs Brooks Plaza transformed the entire circumference of Williams-Brice Stadium into an aesthetically pleasing walkway with the look and feel similar to the majestic Gamecock Park.

In 2020, renovations to the 400 East (Traditions Club) , 100 West (Horseshoe Club) , and sections 11-13 (Cockaboose Club) resulted in a new capacity of 77,559.