Aug. 14, 2002
Columbia, SC –
- USC went through its first scrimmage of preseason football camp Wednesday. Assistant head coach Skip Holtz estimated the offense ran 80-90 plays. The plays consisted of 10-play series.
- “This scrimmage was more to evaluate personnel than to evaluate our team,” said Skip. “We wanted to take a look at some of the players we need to make decisions on as we fill out our depth chart. It’s hard to evaluate your team after a scrimmage like this, but we should get some good evaluation of individuals.”
- Tailback/wide receiver Ryan Brewer did not participate in the scrimmage. Brewer is coming off of ankle surgery and while he practiced Wednesday morning, he was held out of the scrimmage.
- Senior spur Rashad Faison suffered a neck strain early in the scrimmage after breaking up a pass play and did not play the remainder of the scrimmage.
- Senior running back Andrew Pinnock fumbled the ball on one of the scrimmage’s first plays and did not play another snap. “We cannot tolerate fumbles by our backs,” said Skip Holtz. Skip said it did give the coaches an opportunity to look at some of the younger backs, in particular Thez Robinson, Kenny Irons, Regis Edgerson and Daccus Turman. “I thought Kenny Irons ran hard,” said Skip. “I think he is a real talent.”
- Offensive tackle Travelle Wharton was used sparingly in order to rest a sore hamstring.
- Redshirt freshman Fran Person, who has been playing tight end, has been moved to offensive tackle and he worked there some during Wednesday’s scrimmage.
- Skip Holtz said he has been impressed with the improved play of quarterback Dondrial Pinkins. “Dondrial is playing well,” said Skip. “He’s coming on.”
- Some highlights from Wednesday’s scrimmage included:
- the team worked on its punting and kicking game at the beginning of the scrimmage
- Quarterback Corey Jenkins ripped off a 22-yard run
- Jenkins completed a 15-yard pass to Daccus Turman
- Pinkins completed a 24-pass to Thez Robinson
- Pinkins completed a 36-yard touchdown pass to Gonzie Gray, who broke a couple of tackles to get into the end zone
- Erik Kimrey completed consecutive 12-yard passes to freshman tight end Andy Boyd
- Jenkins had a 16-yard completion to Chavez Donnings
- Jenkins completed a 40-yard touchdown pass to James Adkisson
- Bennett Swygert completed a 22-yard pass to tight end Brian Brownlee
- Pinkins completed a 21-yard pass to Brownlee
- Jenkins completed a 28-yard pass to tight end Hart Turner
- Defensive back Terrell Davis had a pair of quarterback sacks
- Walkon defensive back Brian Arnold intercepted a pass thrown by Pinkins
- Defensive end George Gause had a tackle for loss
MEDIA AVAILABILITY FOR THURSDAY, AUG. 15 (SCHEDULE CHANGE)
HEAD COACH LOU HOLTZ WILL BE AVAILABLE TO THE MEDIA AT 11 A.M. THURSDAY IN THE PRESS ROOM BEHIND THE LOBBY OF THE FOOTBALL BUILDING