Feb. 15, 2003
Clemson, S.C. – The 18th ranked University of South Carolina Gamecocks fell 6-1 to the 27th ranked Clemson Tigers on Saturday. The loss dropped South Carolina to 2-1 on the season while the Tigers improved to 5-1.
Clemson took all three double matches easily while taking five of the six single matches. Julie Coin and Laurence Jayet defeated Kathy Boyanovich and Magda Wojdylo 8-4 in the number one doubles. Alix Lacelarie and Daniela Alvarez took the number two doubles over Jodi Kenoyer and Catherine Brown 8-2. Danielle Wiggins and Justine Walsh dropped the number three match to Ana Stiglic and Richele Lesaldo 8-2.
In singles, Danielle Wiggins won the lone singles match for the Gamecocks. That would be the only point the Gamecocks would win in the entire match. The loss was the first of season and it was the first time in 10 years that Clemson defeated South Carolina in the regular season. South Carolina had previously won 11 of their last 14 against the Tigers including six in a row. The Gamecocks return home to face the Wolfpack of N.C. State on Saturday, February 22 at 1pm.
No. 27 Clemson 6, No. 18 USC 1
1. – #23 Julie Coin (Clemson) d. #93Kathy Boyanovich(USC) 6-3, 6-1
2. – Alix Lacelarie (Clemson) d. Jodi Kenoyer (USC) 6-4, 6-3
3. – Danielle Wiggins (USC) d. Ana Stiglic (Clemson) 7-5, 6-1
4. – Daniela Alvarez (Clemson) d. Magda Wojdylo (USC) 6-2, 6-3
5. – Laurence Jayet (Clemson) d. Catherine Brown (USC) 6-1, 6-2
6. – Ioana Paun (Clemson) d. Justine Walsh (USC) 6-0, 6-3
1. – Julie Coin/Laurence Jayet(Clemson) d. Kathy Boyanovich/Magda Wojdylo(USC) 8-4
2. – Alix Lacelarie/Daniela Alvarez(Clemson) d. Jodi Kenoyer/Catherine Brown(USC) 8-2
3. – Ana Stiglic/Richele Lesaldo (Clemson) d. Danielle Wiggins/Justine Walsh (USC) 8-2