Feb. 17, 2005
GAINESVILLE, Fla.–Freshman Dan White qualified for the “B” finals in the 500 free during preliminary events at the second day of the Southeastern Conference Swimming and Diving Championships in Gainesville, Fla.
White advanced to the finals and made the qualifying NCAA “B” cut by finishing 10th with a season-best time of 4:22.53. Freshman Kyle Cormier shaved more than nine seconds off his previous best time to finish 18th at 4:28.52, while junior Tim Farrington finished 21st with a season-best time of 4:31.07. Sophomore Colby Mack placed 23rd and bettered his previous season mark by almost six seconds with a time of 4:32.78. Junior Tamas Bathazi swam a time of 4:33.89, which was good for 25th place.
Junior Mike Farrington finished the 500 freestyle in 29th place with a time of 4:37.13 and freshman Kevin Cargill swam a time of 4:39.00 to place 32nd. Freshmen Michael Burke and Evan Duffin-Barnes placed 35th and 36th, respectively, with times of 4:47.67 and 4:48.63.
“Dan White had a great time today and is capable of going a lot faster tonight,” said head coach Don Gibb. “The SEC is the premier conference in swimming, so we have to do more than just post season-best times at this meet.”
In the women’s 500 freestyle, sophomore Stephanie Margalis just missed the qualifying NCAA “B” cut and the consolation finals by swimming a season-best time of 4:54.03 to finish 17th. Freshmen Lauren Fayssoux and Heather Roffey placed behind Margalis at 18th and 19th, respectively, with season-best times of 4:55.25 and 4:55.87. Kelli Hobbs placed 25th with a time of 5:03.22 while freshman Mallory Deighan placed one behind with a time of 5:03.88. Exhibition swimmers, sophomore Kaelon May and freshman Jessica VanAssen, swam times of 4:59.94 and 5:07.61, respectively.
In the 200 individual medley, freshman Sean Murray improved his previous season mark by more than two seconds to 1:56.92, which was good for 28th place. For the women, freshman Christy Williams was edged out of the consolation finals by just one one-hundredths of a second and placed 17th at 2:03.53. Margalis posted a time of 2:06.20 to place 22nd, while freshman Mandee Cregar earned 25th place with a time of 2:08.43, both season-bests.
“I’m disappointed for the kids who placed 17th and it hurts because that was an opportunity for us to score points,” stated Gibb. “Everyone needs to understand that they have to bring their “A” game in the morning to come back at night.”
Every men’s swimmer who competed in the 50 freestyle improved his previous season mark. Junior Reid Duff put up a time of :20.61 for 23rd place while freshmen Christian Robledo and Dane Patching placed 27th and 31st with times of :20.92 and :21.22, respectively. Freshman Alex Holtkamp edged out junior Justin Kata with a time of :21.34 to end in a tie for 35th. Kata posted a time of :21.39 and placed in a tie for 37th.
For the women, sophomore Aunya Nance and senior Carolynn McHugh finished just out of the “B” finals, but made the qualifying NCAA “B” cut. Nance placed 18th at :23.44 while McHugh placed 19th, just .01 behind her at :23.45. Junior Haley Skaggs placed 22nd with a time of :23.84, freshman Alyssa Cady placed 24th with a time of :23.98, freshman Diana Lopez placed 27th with a time of :24.07 and freshman Kasey Tamkun placed 40th at :24.78. Freshman exhibition swimmers Kelly Giese and Amanda Sowell put up times of :23.67 and :25.15, respectively.
The finals begin tonight at 5:30 and include the 400 medley relay. A schedule of events and full results can be found at www.gatorzone.com.
1. Sebastian Rouault Georgia 4:18.68
10. Dan White S. Carolina 4:22.53
18. Kyle Cormier S. Carolina 4:28.52
21. Tim Farrington S. Carolina 4:31.07
23. Colby Mack S. Carolina 4:32.78
25. Tamas Bathazi S. Carolina 4:33.89
29. Mike Farrington S. Carolina 4:37.13
32. Kevin Cargill S. Carolina 4:39.00
35. Michael Burke S. Carolina 4:47.67
36. Evan Duffin-Barnes S. Carolina 4:48.63
200-yard individual medley
1. Ryan Lochte Florida 1:45.98
28. Sean Murray S. Carolina 1:56.92
1. Fred Bousquet Auburn :19.63
23. Reid Duff S. Carolina :20.61
27. Christian Robledo S. Carolina :20.92
31. Dane Patching S. Carolina :21.22
35. Alex Holtkamp S. Carolina :21.34
37. Justin Kata S. Carolina :21.39
1. Caroline Burckle Florida 4:40.81
17. Stephanie Margalis S. Carolina 4:54.03
18. Lauren Fayssoux S. Carolina 4:55.25
19. Heather Roffey S. Carolina 4:55.87
25. Kelli Hobbs S. Carolina 5:03.22
26. Mallory Deighan S. Carolina 5:03.88
X-Kaelon May S. Carolina 4:59.94
X-Jessica VanAssen S. Carolina 5:07.61
200-yard individual medley
1. Kirsty Coventry Auburn 1:56.45
17. Christy Williams S. Carolina 2:03.53
22. Stephanie Margalis S. Carolina 2:06.20
25. Mandee Cregar S. Carolina 2:08.43
1. Amanda Weir Georgia :22.32
18. Aunya Nance S. Carolina :23.44
19. Carolynn McHugh S. Carolina :23.45
22. Haley Skaggs S. Carolina :23.84
24. Alyssa Cady S. Carolina :23.98
27. Diana Lopez S. Carolina :24.07
40. Kasey Tamkun S. Carolina :24.78
X-Kelly Giese S. Carolina :23.67
X-Amanda Sowell S. Carolina :25.15