May 15, 2005
Athens, Ga. – The 22nd-ranked University of South Carolina women’s tennis team dropped their second round NCAA Tournament match to the eighth-seeded Georgia Bulldogs, 4-0, on Sunday at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex in Athens, Ga. The Gamecocks ended their season with a 15-9 record overall and are currently ranked 22nd in the country in the ITA rankings. The Bulldogs improved to 17-7 overall and will play California in the NCAA “Sweet 16” matchup on May 19th at 9 a.m.
The Bulldogs took an early 1-0 lead by clinching the doubles point. At the top flight, the #1 doubles team in the country of Caroline Basu, and Shadisha Robinson defeated South Carolina’s Danielle Wiggins and Miranda Gutierrez 8-1. Natalie Frazier and Jitka Schonfeldova clinched the doubles point for the Bulldogs with an 8-4 victory at three. USC’s Christyn Lucas and Magda Wojdylo were leading at No. 2 doubles, 6-4, over Kelley Hyndman and Evgenia Subbotina.
Caroline Basu defeated Laura Ganzer at three 6-2, 7-5 to give the Bulldogs a 2-0 advantage in the match. Ganzer battled back from a 5-2 deficit to tie the second set at five but Basu would take the next two games to extend the Bulldog lead. UGA took a 3-0 advantage when Kelley Hyndman defeated Miranda Gutierrez at four, 6-4,7-5. 10th-ranked Shadisha Robinson clinched the victory for the Bulldogs with a three set victory against Danielle Wiggins at the top singles flight. The remaining matches were suspended since Georgia had clinch the victory.
The Gamecocks will return seven players from this season’s roster with five in the top six returning for the 2005-06 season. USC will lose three players due to graduation: Fallon Koon, Audrey George, and Magda Wojdylo. The 2005 NCAA Tournament was Carolina’s 11th-straight appearance and 15th overall. The Gamecocks are currently ranked 22nd in the country and the final rankings of the 2005 season will be released on May 26th by the ITA.
#22 South Carolina (15-9) 0
#8 Georgia (17-7) 4
1. #1 Caroline Basu/Shadisha Robinson (UGA) d. Danielle Wiggins/Miranda Gutierrez (SC) 8-1
2. Christyn Lucas/Magda Wojdylo (SC) vs. Kelley Hyndman/Evgenia Subbotina (UGA) 6-4 susp.
3. Natalie Frazier/Jitka Schonfeldova (UGA) d. Fallon Koon/Laura Ganzer 8-4
Order of Finish: 1,3
1. #10 Shadisha Robinson (UGA) d. Danielle Wiggins (SC) 6-4,2-6,6-2
2. #101 Christyn Lucas (SC) vs. #27 Natalie Frazier (UGA) 3-6,6-4,1-3
3. Caroline Basu (UGA) d. Laura Ganzer (SC) 6-2,7-5
4. Kelley Hyndman (UGA) d. Miranda Gutierrez 6-4,7-5
5. Magda Wojdylo (SC) vs. Evgenia Subbotina (UGA) 3-0 susp.
6. Megan McGavock (SC) vs. Jitka Schonfeldova (UGA) susp.
Order of Finish: 3,4,1