April 12, 2008
COLUMBIA, S.C. — The South Carolina women’s tennis team suffered a 4-0 loss to No. 4 Florida on Saturday in Columbia, S.C. The Gamecocks fell to 12-8 with the loss and ended the regular season with a 5-6 SEC record. Florida improved to 18-1 and finished the year with a perfect 11-0 mark in conference matches.
The Gamecocks played the match shorthanded, deciding to rest sophomore Ana Marija Zubori and her ailing knee that was injured against Arkansas on March 30. Doing so meant South Carolina forfeited No. 3 doubles and No. 6 singles to the Gators.
The match began outdoors at Maxcy Gregg Tennis Center, but play was moved indoors after a thunderstorm hit. Megan Alexander and Lolita Frangulyan of Florida led Megan McGavock and Suzanna Mansour 5-4 on court one, while Whitney Benik and Csilla Borsanyi were up 5-2 against Jelena Rajic and Natasa Vuckovic at No. 2 doubles.
Once played resumed indoors, Alexander and Frangulyan managed to closed out the match with an 8-4 victory to put the Gators ahead 2-0. The No. 2 doubles contest was suspended with Florida ahead 7-2.
The Gators earned their third point from Alexander’s 6-0, 6-4 win over Mansour on court three. Revzina clinched the match for Florida with a 6-3, 6-2 victory against McGavock at No. 5 singles. The remaining matches at one, two and four were suspended once the Gators clinched the victory.
South Carolina will next compete in the SEC Tournament on Thursday in Auburn, Ala.
#4 Florida (18-1, 11-0 SEC) def. #32 South Carolina (12-8, 5-6 SEC), 4-0
1. #44 Gira Schofield, USC, vs. #27 Julia Cohen, UF, 6-4, 1-3 susp.
2. Natasa Vuckovic, USC, vs. #32 Csilla Borsanyi, UF, 1-0 susp.
3. #106 Megan Alexander, UF, def. Suzanna Mansour, USC, 6-0, 6-4
4. Jelena Rajic, USC, vs. #124 Whitney Benik, UF, 5-7, 4-0 susp.
5. #95 Anastasia Revzina, UF, def. Megan McGavock, USC, 6-3, 6-2
6. Not Played – Point to Florida
Order of Finish: 6, 3, 5
1. Alexander/Frangulyan, UF, def. McGavock/Mansour, USC, 8-4
2. Rajic/Vuckovic, USC, vs. Benik/Borsanyi, UF, 2-7 susp.
3. Not Played – Match to Florida
Order of Finish: 3, 1