June 4, 2011
NORTH CAROLINA STATE NOTES
- North Carolina State improves to 35-26 on the season.
- The Wolfpack will play the loser of tonight’s South Carolina-Stetson game at 1 p.m. Sunday.
- NC State wins for the first time in its history against Georgia Southern; the Eagles had won each of the two previous meetings in 1974 and 1998.
- This was NC State’s ninth win this season when scoring five runs or less (9-22 in those contests); they are now 33-8 when allowing five or fewer runs to an opponent and 16-1 when an opponent scores two runs or less.
- For the 27th time this season, NC State did not commit an error in the game; the team is 21-6 in those games.
- The Wolfpack improved to 33-1 this year when leading after eight innings.
- RHP Cory Mazzoni finished with 12 strikeouts, the seventh time this year he has eclipsed the 10-strikeout mark. That sets an NC State school record. He was one shy of a career-high (he struck out 13 against Penn State on March 4).
- Mazzoni now has 137 strikeouts on the season and has allowed just three earned runs in his last 29 innnings of work.
- DH Danny Canela homered for the second time in the regional and the fifth time this season. NC State is 21-6 when hitting at least one home run this season.
- LF Tarran Senay led the Wolfpack offense with a 2-for-4 effort.
GEORGIA SOUTHERN NOTES
- Georgia Southern ends its season at 36-26; they are the first team eliminated from the Columbia Regional.
- The Eagles have lost five straight NCAA Regional games, dating back to the 2002 Clemson Regional.
- Scooter Williams extended his reached-base streak to nine games with a single in the fifth inning; he is the only Georgia Southern player to have a hit in both games of the Columbia regional.
- RF Victor Roache was 2-for-4 with the only Georgia Southern RBI of the day. He finishes the season with 30 home runs (leads the NCAA) and 84 RBIs (2nd in the nation).
- RHP Chris Beck retired 10 of the first 11 batters he faced, giving up just two hits in 5+ innings of work while being charged with two earned runs.