June 3, 2011
NC STATE NOTES
- NC State falls to 34-26 for the year.
- The Wolfpack are now 35-48 all-time in the NCAA Tournament. They have lost their last four NCAA Tournament games.
- NC State lost for just the fifth time this season when scoring first (now 22-5). They did so today when Brett Williams scored on a 2-out single by Danny Canela to give the Wolfpack a 1-0 lead.
- The 4-5-6 hitters in the NC State lineup were a combined 9-for-15, accounting for 9 of the Wolfpack’s 14 hits, 6 of 6 RBIs and 4 of 7 runs scored.
- Harold Riggins equaled a season-best with a 4-for-5 performance that included a three-run home run in the third inning, his fourth of the season. It was the eighth four-hit performance by a Wolfpack player this season.
- Danny Canela had a 3-for-5 outing with a season-high four RBIs, his second three-hit game of the year.
- Brett Williams went 3-for-5, totaling three or more hits for the ninth time this season.
- Stetson improves to 42-18 on the season.
- Stetson is now 2-2 all-time against NC State. This was the first meeting between the two teams since the 1990 NCAA Miami Regional when NC State took a 13-2 victory to eliminate the Hatters.
- This was Stetson’s first NCAA Tournament victory since 2007 when they defeated Bethune-Cookman in the Tallahassee Regional before falling to Mississippi State and Florida State.
- Three of the four all-time meetings between these teams have taken place in the NCAA Regional.
- This was the Hatters’ third game this year against a member of the Atlantic Coast Conference. Both of the earlier meetings came against Florida State (Stetson was 1-1 in those contests).
- Mark Jones hit his fifth home run of the season to put the Hatters on the board for the first time in the third inning. He totaled four RBIs on the day.
- With his game-tying two-run homer in the fifth, Mitchel Brennan extended his hitting streak to 7 games; he is 13-for-26 (.500) in his last 11 games with eight RBIs and seven runs scored.