March 23, 2014
CHARLESTON, S.C. – In the rare home/away doubleheader, No. 48 South Carolina capped off a busy Sunday with a 7-0 win at The Citadel. Two Gamecocks yielded three games or less in their singles matches, and a shuffled doubles lineup swept the three matches for the first point of the contest.
Andrew Adams and Kyle Koch moved to the top of the doubles lineup in the second half of Sunday’s doubleheader, powering past Jackson Pride and Peter Bleach 8-4. Chip Cox and Sam Swank teamed up in the No. 2 spot for an 8-2 win over Oliver Dedding and Connor Grady. Ben Barnette and Andrew Schafer stormed past Marvin Pagayonan and Joe Bove 8-0 to round out the lineup.
In singles action, the Gamecocks were on top early in five of the six matches. In the No. 6 spot, Swank faced the least resistance with a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Grady, while No. 125 Schafer was close behind with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Dedding in the No. 5 match. At the top of the lineup, Adams powered past Elliott Sperr 6-1, 6-2, while Koch closed strong against Pride in the No. 4 match, winning 6-3, 6-1. Cox was strong out of the gate and held off Bleach in the second set for a 6-1, 6-4 victory, his sixth in the last seven outings. No. 80 Tsvetan Mihov shook off a slow start in the No. 2 match to score a 4-6, 6-4, 6-2 win over Dillon Berkabile.
Sunday began with the Gamecocks posting a 4-1 win over No. 30 Auburn at Carolina Tennis Center.
The Gamecocks continue league play next weekend with a two-game road trip as they travel to LSU on Fri., March 28, at 4 p.m. and finish the weekend facing No. 71 Arkansas on Sun., March 30, at 1 p.m.
#48 South Carolina 7, The Citadel 0
1. Andrew Adams/Kyle Koch (SC) def. Jackson Pride/Peter Bleach (CIT) 8-4
2. Chip Cox/Sam Swank (SC) def. Oliver Dedding/Connor Grady (CIT) 8-2
3. Ben Barnette/Andrew Schafer (SC) def. Marvin Pagayonan/Joe Bove (CIT) 8-0
1. Andrew Adams (SC) def. Elliott Sperr (CIT) 6-1, 6-2
2. (80) Tsvetan Mihov (SC) def. Dillon Berkabile (CIT) 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
3. Chip Cox (SC) def. Peter Bleach (CIT) 6-1, 6-4
4. Kyle Koch (SC) def. Jackson Pride (CIT) 6-3, 6-1
5. (125) Andrew Schafer (SC) def. Oliver Dedding (CIT) 6-2, 6-0
6. Sam Swank (SC) def. Connor Grady (CIT) 6-1, 6-0