Jan. 23, 2015
Freshman Hadley Berg provided the clinching point for the Gamecocks in both matches.
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — The No. 23 South Carolina women’s tennis team opened dual match play Friday in Albuquerque, N.M., with a pair of wins at the Linda Estes Tennis Center. The Gamecocks first defeated Grand Canyon 4-1 and then shut out Northern Arizona 4-0 later in the day to complete the doubleheader.
South Carolina cruised in the doubles points of both matches. Versus the Antelopes of Grand Canyon, Hadley Berg and Elixane Lechemia defeated Priscilla Annoual and Tatum Prudhomme 6-2 at one, while No. 33 Meghan Blevins and Brigit Folland upended Alexandra Petrzalkova and Silvia Tumova by the same score to clinch the point on court two.
No. 99-ranked Blevins made short work of Tumova at No. 3 singles with a 6-0, 6-1 victory, and Folland had little trouble with Prudhomme on court two with a 6-2, 6-2 win. Berg gave the Gamecocks the clincher in the match with a 7-6(4), 6-1 triumph over Petrzalkova at the No. 4 spot. The Antelopes did manage to take court six before Berg’s win with Lana Rinaldi beating Natalie Looney 6-2, 6-3.
Caroline Dailey and Ximena Siles Luna won first for the Gamecocks in doubles against the Lumberjacks by downing Jordan Denesik and Livia Hollosy 6-1. Blevins and Folland then beat Marta Lewandowska and Hailey Rochin 6-2 to improve to 14-2 on the season. For Folland, it marked her 19th win in doubles as an individual, a best for the team.
Carolina had no problems dispatching NAU in singles with Blevins winning first yet again 6-0, 6-1 against Emelia Box at three singles. Dailey scored a 6-1, 6-4 victory at the second position from Rochin and Berg clinched her second match of the day with a 6-1, 6-4 win over Hollosy at No. 5 singles.
South Carolina continues its season in Albuquerque on Saturday taking on Kansas at 4 p.m. The Gamecocks conclude their stay out west with a contest against New Mexico on Sunday at 1 p.m.
#23 South Carolina def. Grand Canyon, 4-1
1. Caroline Dailey (SC) vs. Priscilla Annoual (GCU), 6-3, 5-5 susp.
2. Brigit Folland (SC) def. Tatum Prudhomme (GCU), 6-2, 6-2
3. #99 Meghan Blevins (SC) def. Silvia Tumova (GCU), 6-0, 6-1
4. Hadley Berg (SC) def. Alexandra Petrzalkova (GCU), 7-6(4), 6-1
5. Ximena Siles Luna (SC) vs. Lana Macukat (GCU), 6-0, 2-6, 1-0 susp.
6. Lana Rinaldi (GCU) def. Natalie Looney (SC), 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 6, 4
1. Berg/Elixane Lechemia (SC) def. Annoual/Prudhomme (GCU), 6-2
2. #33 Blevins/Folland (SC) def. Petrzalkova/Tumova (GCU), 6-2
3. Dailey/Siles Luna (SC) vs. Macukat/Rinaldi (GCU), 4-3 susp.
Order of Finish: 1, 2
#23 South Carolina def. Northern Arizona, 4-0
1. #120 Elixane Lechemia (SC) vs. Johanna Vang (NAU), 6-2 susp.
2. Caroline Dailey (SC) def. Hailey Rochin (NAU), 6-1, 6-4
3. #99 Meghan Blevins (SC) def. Emelia Box (NAU), 6-0, 6-1
4. Brigit Folland (SC) vs. Marta Lewandowska (NAU), 6-3 susp.
5. Hadley Berg (SC) def. Livia Hollosy (NAU), 6-1, 6-4
6. Ximena Siles Luna (SC) vs. Jordan Denesik (NAU), 6-4 susp.
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 5
1. Berg/Lechemia (SC) vs. Box/Vang (NAU), 4-2 susp.
2. #33 Blevins/Folland (SC) def. Lewandowska/Rochin (NAU), 6-2
3. Dailey/Siles Luna (SC) def. Denesik/Hollosy (NAU), 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2