Feb. 14, 2015
COLUMBIA, S.C. — The No. 22 South Carolina women’s tennis team defeated Charlotte 4-0 in its 2015 home opener Saturday at the USC Field House in Columbia, S.C., to improve to 5-2 on the season. The 49ers dropped to 3-3.
The Gamecocks took the doubles point quickly with Meghan Blevins and Brigit Folland winning 6-1 against Fleur Holtkamp and Victoria Pahlett at court one. Hadley Berg and Caroline Dailey clinched the point with a 6-2 triumph over Tyler Baker and Macy Vonderschmidt at two. Elixane Lechemia and Ximena Siles Luna finished off doubles with a 6-4 victory against Lisa Grosselius and Natsuko Takayanagi at three.
Dailey, who earned her first career national singles ranking earlier this week at No. 121, earned a 6-2, 6-1 win at No. 1 singles over Pahlett to make the score 2-0. With the win, she improved to 15-9 on the season and 5-1 in dual matches. It also marked her first career victory at the top position.
Siles Luna advanced the Gamecocks’ lead to 3-0 with a 6-3, 6-2 triumph over Takayanagi on court four. Siles Luna’s perfect dual match record in 2015 remained in tact with the win by moving to 5-0. She also improved to 12-5 overall in the process and has now won contests at four, five and six singles this year.
Less than two minutes later, Blevins secured the win for Carolina with a 7-6(1), 6-4 win against Grosselius at No. 2 singles. Blevins continues to lead the team in singles victories this year with a 16-4 record.
Folland’s match at three singles stopped with her leading Vonderschmidt 1-0 in the third after splitting the first two sets. Berg held a 3-0 advantage in the first set over Holtkamp at five when the match ended. Natalie Looney and Baker did not get a chance to start their match at six singles.
South Carolina is back in action this afternoon hosting College of Charleston at 3 p.m. at the USC Field House.
#22 South Carolina def. Charlotte, 4-0
1. #121 Caroline Dailey (SC) def. Victoria Pahlett (CHAR), 6-2, 6-1
2. Meghan Blevins (SC) def. Lisa Grosselius (CHAR), 7-6(1), 6-4
3. Brigit Folland (SC) vs. Macy Vonderschmidt (CHAR), 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 susp.
4. Ximena Siles Luna (SC) def. Natsuko Takayanagi (CHAR), 6-3, 6-2
5. Hadley Berg (SC) vs. Fleur Holtkamp (CHAR), 3-0 susp.
6. Natalie Looney (SC) vs. Tyler Baker (CHAR), not played
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 2
1. Blevins/Folland (SC) def. Holtkamp/Pahlett (CHAR), 6-1
2. Berg/Dailey (SC) def. Baker/Vonderschmidt (CHAR), 6-2
3. Lechemia/Siles Luna (SC) def. Grosselius/Takayanagi (CHAR), 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3