March 22, 2015
COLUMBIA, S.C. — The No. 43 South Carolina women’s tennis team defeated South Carolina State 4-0 in the second part of a doubleheader Sunday at the USC Field House in Columbia, S.C. It was South Carolina’s second win on the day, as it defeated No. 17 Ole Miss in its first match, 4-2. The Gamecocks improved to 12-6, while the Bulldogs fell to 5-7.
South Carolina had no problems taking the doubles point from the Bulldogs with a pair of 6-1 wins on courts one and two. Meghan Blevins and Brigit Folland won first at No. 2 doubles over Marketa Marcanikova and Smaranda Petreanv. Hadley Berg and Caroline Dailey got the clincher at one over Dakota Brown and Intissar Rassif. Elixane Lechemia and Ximena Siles Luna led Luiza Duarte and Oleksandra Filippova 5-2 at three when play stopped.
Lechemia made short work of Filippova at one, surrendering no games in a 6-0, 6-0 shutout to make the score 2-0. Folland closed out her contest with Rassif at three soon afterward with a 6-1, 6-2 victory to earn her 20th win of the season. Dailey provided the clincher for the Gamecocks on court two with a 7-5, 6-1 triumph over Andjela Vasic, her 20th win of the season as well.
The Gamecocks have just one match on the docket next week taking on No. 2 Florida on Saturday at 1 p.m. in Gainesville, Fla.
#43 South Carolina def. South Carolina State, 4-0
1. #74 Elixane Lechemia (SC) def. Oleksandra Filippova (SCST), 6-0, 6-0
2. Caroline Dailey (SC) def. Intissar Rassif (SCST), 7-5, 6-1
3. Brigit Folland (SC) def. Andjela Vasic (SCST), 6-1, 6-2
4. Meghan Blevins (SC) vs. Marketa Marcanikova (SCST), 7-6(3), 3-2 susp.
5. Natalie Looney (SC) vs. Dakota Brown (SCST), 2-3 susp.
6. Alex Martin (SC) vs. Claudia Roca (SCST), 1-0 susp.
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. #53 Hadley Berg/Dailey (SC) def. Brown/Rassif (SCSU), 6-1
2. #45 Blevins/Folland (SC) def. Marcanikova/Smaranda Petreanv (SCSU), 6-1
3. Lechemia/Ximena Siles Luna (SC) vs. Luiza Duarte/Filippova (SCSU), 5-2 susp.
Order of Finish: 2, 1