Gamecocks Set to Host ECU in Saturday Dual Meet
South Carolina men’s and women’s swimming and diving returns to action this Saturday when they host East Carolina at the Carolina Natatorium/ Blatt PE Center.
COLUMBIA, S.C.— For the first time in the new year, South Carolina men’s and women’s swimming and diving returns to action as it hosts East Carolina on Saturday beginning at 1 p.m.
The Gamecocks women finished fourth back in November at the Georgia Tech Invite, the last time South Carolina had its full team in action. The men’s side finished seventh at the Georgia Tech Invite.
The Carolina divers traveled to both the Auburn Diving Invite and Georgia Diving Invite over the winter break, which was highlighted by one win in the platform for Marissa Roth and a pair of runner-up finishes for Anton Down-Jenkins in the 3-meter dive.
With championship season just around the corner, the Gamecocks have posted 21 total NCAA B-cut swims thus far.
SATURDAY’S SCHEDULE OF EVENTS (First diving session to begin at 12 p.m.)
200 medley relay
400 freestyle relay
GAMECOCK TOP SWIMS:
|Christina Lappin||50 free (W)||*22.57 (B)||GT Invite|
|Christina Lappin||100 fly (W)||52.98 (B)||GT Invite|
|Kate Sanderson||1650 free (W)||16:17.76 (B)||GT Invite|
|Emily Cornell||200 back (W)||1:55.72 (B)||GT Invite|
|Emma Barksdale||100 breast (W)||1:01.57 (B)||at UNC|
|Emma Barksdale||200 breast (W)||2:13.61 (B)||vs. Arkansas|
|Emma Barksdale||200 fly (W)||*1:55.63 (B)||GT Invite|
|Emma Barksdale||200 IM (W)||1:55.75 (B)||GT Invite|
|Emma Barksdale||400 IM (W)||4:08.97 (B)||GT Invite|
|Albury Higgs||100 breast (W)||1:01.59 (B)||GT Invite|
|Albury Higgs||200 breast (W)||2:10.44 (B)||GT Invite|
|Melinda Novoszath||200 fly (W)||1:58.12 (B)||GT Invite|
|Hallie Kinsey||200 fly (W)||1:58.25 (B)||GT Invite|
|Hallie Kinsey||200 IM (W)||1:58.29 (B)||GT Invite|
|Mikaela Lujan||3-meter diving||330.67||vs. Arkansas|
|Marissa Roth||Platform||287.80||Auburn Diving Invite|
|400 free relay (W)||400 FR (W)||*3:18.88||GT Invite|
|Fynn Minuth||500 free (M)||4:19.44 (B)||GT Invite|
|Fynn Minuth||200 fly (M)||1:44.70 (B)||GT Invite|
|Rafael Davila||500 free (M)||4:22.18 (B)||GT Invite|
|Cody Bekemeyer||1650 free (M)||15:12.35 (B)||GT Invite|
|Kevin Liu||200 back (M)||1:44.40 (B)||GT Invite|
|Lionel Khoo||100 breast (M)||53.41 (B)||GT Invite|
|Lionel Khoo||200 breast (M)||1:58.12 (B)||GT Invite|
|Anton Down-Jenkins||1-meter dive||358.70||at UNC|
|Anton Down-Jenkins||3-meter dive||411.98||at UNC|
* Indicates a South Carolina school record
– One of the most versatile female swimmers in the world, Emma Barksdale has posted season-best times for South Carolina in five separate events: 200 free, 100 breast, 200 fly, 200 IM and 400 IM.
– Barksdale improved on her own school record her last time out in the 200 fly, touching the wall at 1:55.63.
– Lionel Khoo has three event wins in breaststroke events so far this year and one first-place finish in the 200 IM at UNC.
– Marissa Roth captured platform titles at both the Georgia Tech Invitational as well as the Auburn Diving Invite.
– Anton Down-Jenkins had a pair of runner-up finishes in the 3-meter dive at the Auburn Diving Invite and Georgia Diving Invite, respectively.
– The Gamecocks women’s 400 free relay team of Melinda Novoszath, Christina Lappin, Emily Cornell and Emma Barksdale, set a school record last time out at the GT Invite with a time of 3:18.88.
QUOTEABLE: HEAD DIVING COACH TODD SHERRITT
“We’re refreshed coming off of a nice break and are just getting back up to speed. Everyone had a pretty solid meet at the Georgia Invite so we look pretty good going into the competition (versus ECU) tomorrow. We’re working through a few minor injuries but we should be on track for a good showing next week at Georgia Tech. Overall, we’re in fairly good shape but need to work on some adjustments before next month’s SEC Championships”
UP NEXT FOR THE GAMECOCKS
The Gamecocks now make the trip for their final road dual-meet of the year as they take on Georgia Tech on Sat., Jan. 19, beginning at 11 a.m., at the McAuley Aquatic Center.
For more swimming updates, follow South Carolina Swimming and Diving on Twitter at @GamecockSwim.