Baseball Faces Virginia Sunday Afternoon in Columbia Regional Action
The Gamecocks and Cavaliers play in an elimination game at 12 p.m.
– South Carolina hosts Virginia in Game 5 of the NCAA Columbia Regional.
– The Gamecocks lost to Old Dominion, 2-1, in the winner’s bracket game.
– Thomas Farr pitched a season-high 7.2 innings in the Old Dominion game, striking out four and allowing five hits and two runs with three walks.
– Joe Satterfield drove in Carolina’s run with a sacrifice fly to center. Satterfield also had one of Carolina’s three hits on the night.
– Will Sanders pitched 1.1 innings of relief, striking out three while not allowing a hit.
– This afternoon’s game is a rematch of Friday afternoon’s contest, in which the Gamecocks won 4-3.
– The Gamecocks will start senior righthander Brannon Jordan on Sunday. Jordan is 5-5 with a 4.37 ERA. His last outing occurred on May 20 against Tennessee, striking out three with six hits and seven runs. Jordan’s last win was at Kentucky on May 14, striking out six in five innings of work in that contest.
– The Gamecocks are now 137-70 all-time in the NCAA Tournament.
– Carolina is in the loser’s bracket of a regional for the first time since 2016. The Gamecocks clawed all the way back from a Friday loss to win that regional.
– Virginia defeated Jacksonville, 13-8, to stay alive in the regional. Zach Gelof and Kyle Teel had four hits apiece and Jake Gelof had three hits and four runs scored, part of a 21-hit outburst.