Gamecocks In the Show Update - June 22
Eight current Gamecock alums are in the Major Leagues.
The Major League Baseball’s 2022 season is in full swing and eight Gamecock alumni are currently on MLB rosters. Here’s a recap of how the former Gamecocks are doing in the “Show.”
- Jackie Bradley Jr. (Boston Red Sox) – Bradley Jr., is back with the Red Sox after spending 2021 with the Milwaukee Brewers. He has played in 62 games this season and is hitting .224 with 14 doubles, a triple, a home runs and 22 RBI. He also has 13 walks and a .594 OPS for the Red Sox, who are currently the second Wild Card team in the AL.
- Jonah Bride (Oakland Athletics) – Bride earned a call-up to the A’s on June 14 and made his Major League debut with the Athletics in Boston. Bride is hitting .333 with a double and has a six-game hitting streak. Bride was 2-for-4 in Tuesday night’s game against the Seattle Mariners.
- Wil Crowe (Pittsburgh Pirates) – Crowe has made 26 appearances for the Pirates this season and is 3-4 with a 2.56 ERA and a pair of saves in 38.2 innings pitched. Crowe has a 1.09 WHIP with 38 strikeouts compared to just 17 walks. Crowe earned a save on May 31 at Los Angeles to help the Pirates sweep the Dodgers and got the win on June 15 at St. Louis.
- Whit Merrifield (Kansas City Royals) – Merrifield has played in 67 games for the Kansas City Royals and is hitting .231 with 15 doubles, three home runs and 30 RBI. Merrifield has stolen nine bases and has a .592 OPS for the Royals.
- Jordan Montgomery (New York Yankees) – Montgomery, pitching for the AL East leading New York Yankees, is 3-1 with a 2.72 ERA in 13 starts. He has 56 strikeouts on the year compared to just 11 walks. Opponents are hitting just .216 against Montgomery and he has a 0.95 WHIP. He just picked up a win on June 17 against Toronto, striking out five in six innings of work.
- Clarke Schmidt (New York Yankees) – Schmidt is also part of the pitching staff for the Yankees and is 3-2 with a 3.13 ERA and 20 strikeouts in 23.0 innings pitched. Opponents are hitting only .188 against Schmidt and he has a 1.13 WHIP. Schmidt struck out five in three innings of work in a start against Tampa Bay on June 16.
- Max Schrock (Cincinnati Reds) – Schrock has been on the injured list for the Cincinnati Reds and came back to the active roster on June 17. He had an RBI single against Milwaukee on June 18 and has three at-bats this season.
- Christian Walker (Arizona Diamondbacks) – Walker has given the Diamondbacks a power surge this season, as he is hitting .203 with a team-best 18 home runs to go along with 10 doubles, a triple and 36 RBI. Walker has walked 29 times and has an OPS of .775 in 68 games played. Walker had a pair of home runs against Minnesota on June 19.