Women's Soccer to Face Harvard in NCAA Second Round
COLUMBIA, SC – The No. 13 and three-seeded South Carolina women’s soccer team (14-3-5) will head to Durham, NC to face sixth-seeded Harvard (12-1-3) on Friday, Nov. 18 at 4:00pm for the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
This year marks the 15th for the Gamecocks in the big dance, with eight consecutive appearances. South Carolina advanced to the Elite Eight last season, falling to BYU 4-1. The winner of Friday’s matchup will advance to the round of 16 and play against the winner of the Duke/Texas game on Sunday, Nov. 20.
Last Time Out
- South Carolina tallied its 14th shutout of the season and it’s 20th all time in the NCAA tournament with its 2-0 win over Wake Forest
- 5th year Jyllissa Harris scored the game winner on a Sports Center Top-10 worthy corner kick in the 18th minute, perfectly arching the ball into the top left corner of the net
- Junior Catherine Barry capitalized on a ball off the crossbar from Abby Hugo to sneak it in past the Deacon keeper and solidify the Gamecocks’ 2-0 win
- Barry leads the team with 23 points off eight goals and seven assists
Scouting the Crimson
- Friday’s matchup with Harvard will be the first in program history
- The Crimson advances to its eighth NCAA second round appearance after defeating New Hampshire 2-0, their fourth shutout in the team’s NCAA tournament history
- Playing in her first career NCAA Tournament game, senior captain Jordan Di Verniero scored the eventual game-winning goal just 9′ into the contest
- Harvard possesed the ball nearly 71% of the time
- The Crimson ended the night with a 25-5 shot advantage
- Harvard ended the regular season No. 5 in the nation for its offense at 2.87 goals per game
Fans are encouraged to follow along with in-game updates on Twitter, @GamecockWSoccer.