Women’s Tennis Falls to No. 2 Texas A&M
Columbia, S.C. – No. 38 South Carolina women’s tennis fell to No. 2 Texas A&M 1-4 on Sunday afternoon. The Gamecocks put up a valiant effort in doubles but were unable to get the point and the Aggies took three singles victories for the match win.
In doubles, the Aggies struck first with No. 10 Mary Stoiana and Carson Branstine besting Ayana Akli and Sarah Hamner 6-2 from the top spot in the lineup. The Gamecocks were able to even the decision with Ana Cruz and Allie Gretkowski teaming up to take down their opponent 6-2 from the No. 3 doubles spot.
All eyes turned to the No. 2 position where Gracie Mulville and Alice Otis were taking on No. 34 Salma Ewing and Jayci Goldsmith. The Gamecock pair gave up a break early and fell to 1-3, but were able to take the break back and force the set to a tiebreaker. In the tiebreak, the Gamecocks climbed their way up to a 5-2 lead but were unable to hold it, allowing their ranked counterparts to come back to take the match 7-6(7), securing the doubles point for the Aggies.
Play moved to singles where South Carolina earned first sets on Courts 1, 2, and 6. No. 12 Hamner was the first to record a set, taking her first 6-2 over No. 37 Branstine. Hamner was up 2-0 in the second when the Aggie was forced to retire the match due to injury, giving South Carolina a point.
Texas A&M was battling on all courts and managed to pick up three singles wins on Courts 4, 5, and 3 before the Gamecocks could get any more points on the board.
Remaining matches on Courts 1 and 6 were on their way to third sets when play was suspended.
South Carolina will continue their homestand next week, hosting Florida on March 11. The match will begin at noon at the Carolina Tennis Center.
For all the latest South Carolina women’s tennis information, continue to follow GamecocksOnline.com or the team on social media (@GamecockWTennis).
No. 2 Texas A&M 4, No. 38 South Carolina 1
Doubles (order of finish: 1, 3, 2)
- #10 Mary Stoiana/Carson Branstine (TAM) def. Ayana Akli/Sarah Hamner (SC) 6-2
- #34 Salma Ewing/Jayci Goldsmith (TAM) def. Gracie Mulville/Alice Otis (SC) 7-6 (9-7)
- Ana Cruz/Allie Gretkowski (SC) def. Gianna Pielet/Jeanette Mireles (TAM) 6-2
Singles (order of finish: 2, 4, 5, 3)
- #10 Ayana Akli (SC) vs. #9 Mary Stoiana (TAM) 7-5, 0-6, unfinished
- #12 Sarah Hamner (SC) def. #37 Carson Branstine (TAM) 6-2, 2-0, retired
- Salma Ewing (TAM) def. Gracie Mulville (SC) 7-5, 6-2
- #77 Jayci Goldsmith (TAM) def. Elise Mills (SC) 6-1, 7-6 (9-7)
- Jeanette Mireles (TAM) def. Ana Cruz (SC) 6-2, 6-2
- Misa Malkin (SC) vs. #68 Daria Smetannikov (TAM) 6-2, 5-7, unfinished