Women’s Tennis Falls to No. 21 Florida
Columbia, S.C. – No. 32 South Carolina women’s tennis fell 1-4 to No. 21 Florida on Saturday. The Gamecocks’ lone point came from senior Ayana Akli who recorded her 11th straight singles win.
The Gators were strong in doubles with No. 60 Carly Briggs and Rachel Gailis earning the first win of the day 6-3 at the second spot in the lineup. Shortly after, Florida clinched the point with a 6-2 win from the No. 3 position. No. 53 Akli and Sarah Hamner’s doubles match was left unfinished with the Gamecocks leading 5-3.
In singles, the Gamecocks were the first to get a point on the board with Akli’s win. The senior took on No. 47 Briggs, besting the Gator 6-2, 6-1. The win marks Akli’s 11th consecutive singles win with eight of them coming in dual action. Akli is a perfect 8-0 from the No. 1 position in dual play and seven of her 11 wins come over ranked opponents.
From there, it was all Florida with the Gators taking wins on Courts 6, 2, and 4 to clinch the match. Sophomore Misa Malkin was leading her opponent 6-1, 5-4 when play was suspended.
The South Carolina women’s tennis team will continue their homestand next weekend, hosting Kentucky and Vanderbilt on March 17 and 19.
For all the latest South Carolina women’s tennis information, continue to follow GamecocksOnline.com or the team on social media (@GamecockWTennis).
(21) Flordia 4, (32) South Carolina 1
Doubles (order of finish: 2, 3)
- #53 Ayana Akli/Sarah Hamner (SC) vs. Alicia Dudeney/Bente Spee (UF) 5-3, unfinished
- #60 Carly Briggs/Rachel Gailis (UF) def. Alice Otis/Gracie Mulville (SC) 6-3
- Emily de Oliveira/Sophie Williams (UF) def. McKenna Schaefbauer/Ana Cruz (SC) 6-2
Singles (order of finish: 1, 6, 2, 3)
- #7 Ayana Akli (SC) def. #47 Carly Briggs (UF) 6-2, 6-1
- #119 Sara Dahlstrom (UF) def. #14 Sarah Hamner (SC) 6-2, 6-4
- Alicia Dudeney (UF) def. Gracie Mulville (SC) 6-2, 7-5
- Elise Mills (SC) vs. Rachel Gailis (UF) 2-6, 6-2, 0-2, unfinished
- Misa Malkin (SC) vs. Bente Spee (UF) 6-1, 5-4, unfinished
- Emily de Oliveira (UF) def. Ana Cruz (SC) 6-3, 6-1