Baseball to Face Florida in Game 2 Saturday Afternoon
– The Gamecocks and Gators will play game two of the Gainesville Super Regional Saturday (June 10) at 3 p.m. at Condron Family Ballpark.
– The Gators won game one, 5-4, with three home runs on the day.
– Will McGillis was 3-for-5 with two home runs and three RBI for the Gamecocks in game one. McGillis now has 14 home runs on the season, tied for third on the team.
– McGillis opened the game with a home run. The last time he opened a game with a homer was on March 19 in a win at Georgia. The last time a Gamecock led off the game with a homer was Braylen Wimmer at Mississippi State on April 1.
– Ethan Petry collected two hits on the night, upping his batting average to .378. He also recorded his 10th double of the year.
– Gavin Casas has a hit in all four NCAA Tournament games after his RBI single in the first.
– James Hicks started on the mound for the Gamecocks in game one. He allowed six hits and struck out two with three runs and no walks in five innings.
– Will Sanders had three strikeouts in 2.1 innings, allowing three hits and two runs with a walk.
– Carolina fell to 140-72 all-time in NCAA Tournament play.
– Florida defeated Carolina for the first time in NCAA Tournament play. Carolina had been 3-0 all-time vs. the Gators in the NCAA Tournament.
– The Gamecocks will start Jack Mahoney on Saturday afternoon in game two of the Gainesville Super Regional. Mahoney went five innings against Florida in the regular season on April 21. He allowed five hits and two runs with three walks and three strikeouts to pick up his fourth win of the season.
– Carolina will see Hurston Waldrep on the mound for Florida. Waldrep also pitched in that April 21 game. He went six innings and allowed six hits and five runs with three walks and 10 strikeouts.
– Waldrep will see a familiar face in the batter’s box to start the bottom of the first as he was teammates with Will McGillis at Southern Miss. McGillis did not play in the Florida series in April due to injury.